Parts for Tanaka Kogyo 1.2 hp outboard?

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Was given two little Tanaka Kogyo outboard motors of unknown age. I'd like to restore at least one of them. I have no fuel tanks, no starter assemblies or motor housing. One was sold by Sears Roebuck as a Craftsman motor (model 298-585120 and serial # 904464) but they have only a starter rope (no rewind mechanism) and a spring available for it. The other motor has a decal for Keystone Rims Inc. of Ontario, CA. Keystone says they don't manufacture anything and do not have outboard motor parts. Sure would like to find a complete parts motor or the parts mentioned above. (Will probably need other parts when I get further into the motors.) Anyone know of source for used parts?

Last edited by a moderator:

robert graham

Admiral
These motors can be found used on line and the purchase of a fairly decent running unit for maybe $100 or $200 dollars would provide you a good source of spare parts...I've been running a Tanaka 3HP since 1983 and have 2 motors...one running and one for parts. Since they stopped importing these many years ago, parts have become harder to come by...

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Admiral Graham. What is best name to look under? Craftsman or Tanaka Kogyo? Not sure if I'd spend that much for a parts motor. Don't think I would ever actually run the motor as I live on an island up near Canada and I don't think it would be enough power or a good choice for saltwater use. Cute little sucker, though, and I love to take old not running motors and run them in a tank just to listen to them!

robert graham

Admiral
Tanaka Gamefisher outboards were carried by Sears Roebuck.....may search for parts under these names....you may find some parts by on-line searching....