Coleman 5hp 4-stroke Help

kinger88

Recruit
Folks,
I have a new Coleman 5hp 4 stroke with less than 10hrs use. I had it stored on it's side (correct side according to the manual) for about a month. I tried to start it recently and it is now stuck/seized. I brought it back for warranty work and they told me that there was oil in the cylinder and coleman may not cover it under the 1yr warranty. If coleman doesn't cover the repair, they will fix it for a fee. What's involved in fixing this myself?

thanks,
Steve

robert graham

Admiral
How can oil in the cylinder hurt the motor?....remove spark plug and pull the starter rope to blow any oil out of cylinder....then check/fill your crankcase to proper level....clean oil from spark plug....motor should start up with some extra smoke for a few minutes..

kinger88

Recruit
I'll ask the warranty repair shop that question when they call back. You wouldn't think that oil in the cylinder would cause the engine to seize? I couldn't pull the engine over now with the pull cord, it was seized.

robert graham

Admiral
If the cylinder is full of gas and/or oil from being laid on it's side then it won't turn over....remove the spark plug and pull it to expel any gas or oil in the cylinder....I doubt you have much of a problem here....but be sure your crankcase is full of oil and there's gas in you tank...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the motor in nuetral ???--------The motor is likely not seized at all !-------On the compression stroke you may be trying to squeeze the oil which can not be done.-----Get the motor from the shop as they appear to want excessive money for a simple service problem.---Easy to correct this yourself , very easy too.----Remove sparkplug, drain the oil , check oil in sump and start this Chinese wonder up.-

kinger88

Recruit
LOL...Chinese wonder...too funny :)

Thanks for the suggestions gents, I'll definitely give them a try. I don't think I will be paying to get this fixed...they may have it fixed already and are just trying to squeeze a few bucks out of me. I will post an update once I get it back.