Lubrication questions For Old Gale 3 hp Please Help

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1950 Speigel Brooklure 300 (3 hp). I have been told the Fuel mix ratio is 16:1 by one person and another has told me it is 28:1 Can anyone help me with the correct mix? Also my motor only has ONE grease port or screw in the lower unit. What type, weight of oil or grease should I use in this motor and how much should I put in? Do I just lay it on it's side and fill it full?? I don't want to blow any seals out. Also on the fuel mix again, The operation plate on the motor says to use SAE 30 oil in the gas. Would a good 2 cycle oil work as good or better?? Thanks for any and all help and advice. God Bless. Dave

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I am pretty sure your 16:1. 24:1 came out in about 1957

2-cycle oil is made from SAE-30.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Confirming, lower unit uses outboard motor gear grease, no longer available. Most people use Lubriplate 105 "Motor Assembly Grease". NAPA Auto Parts sells it. Comes in a squeeze tube.

There IS a second lube hole, on opposite side from the big one you are looking at. It looks like a screw head. Squeeze the grease in the big one until it comes out the smaller one.

Modern TCW-3 outboard motor oil is far superior to the old SAE-30 oil. Mix it at 16:1.

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you very much. I appreciate all the help and info. God Bless. Dave