1970 4 HP Sears Ted Williams - looking for info

coolapples

Cadet
Just picked up a 1970 4 HP sears Ted Williams outboard. Mostly just looking for any info available. I literally know nothing about it. Most important question is probably... what is the appropriate fuel mix? Owner told me 15:1 but that seems really odd for a 1970 outboard.

Recommended spark plug?
Anything I should look for as far as problems or anything I should replace immediately? I've been reading around on these forums, looks like a lot of people hate these engines. Read more than a few threads where the advice is "junk it and get a different engine". Why is this? Can I avoid any of these problems?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

scamp12

Seaman Apprentice
Hi my 73 7.5 hp ted willams calls for 32:1 if its all air cooled then i would say 15 or 20:1 sounds rite. Mine is both water& air . water pump only works in gear .

coolapples

Cadet
i think maybe the head is aircooled and the exhaust is water cooled? I'm still gathering info so I've read a lot of different info but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that. thanks for the info, glad to know that that mix is close-ish :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
What you need to do first is figure out who made your motor. Sears had a number of vendors supplying their motors. Most likely you have a MCCulloch (model number prefix 574). But might also be an Eska (model number prefix 217). Two entirely different motors. Many of them were spec's to run on 40:1 or 50:1. Personally, I feel that is not enough oil. Those motors were based on chainsaw powerheads that ran at 16:1. And they get much hotter as an outboard motor.​ I'd also use chainsaw oil. But you will get all kinds of opinions if you look long enough.

coolapples

Cadet
hi, thanks for the response. Mine is an Eska.

What mix would you recommend running in these old guys? thanks

scamp12

Seaman Apprentice
On my motor , the water is pump up to the base of the cylinder via a tube and it goes around the cylinder bore much like a car . the head is air cooled . just check the spark plug if it oil fouls then you know your to rich with oil .

coolapples

Cadet
awesome, thanks. I'll keep all this in mind. hopefully i don't run into any issues for a while!