Sea King GG- 9016C 12 HP

Bertslash

Cadet
Hello everyone! I'm brand new to boating and motors, so I bought this motor last night- and I have a few questions! My motor has a serial number of 75X691268.

I have a manual that came with- but it's listed for a GG-8971B?? Is it the same or at least comparable?

I have read numerous posts that it needs 24:1 oil mix and TWC-3 oil? Is that correct?

I am changing the plugs and fuel hose (that was cracked) and give it another go!!

Lastly. Do I need to take the side cover off to run in a trash can? I've read that on a few posts.

Thank you and I lol forward to learning a lot on this site!!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Someone can probably help you with the Serial number But these motors are all really similar and are related to the Evinrude/Johnson motors of roughly the same years. Motor is a 1957 with a remote tank.Motor was Sold by Montgomery Ward and was built be Gale products a devision of OMC. "Outboard.Motor Corp."
Be sure the water reaches the mount bracket in the test tank.
These share many parts with the Evinrude and Johnson motors of about the same age You may need their model numbers.
Look up 15 hp Evinrude and Johnson parts Some right here on iboats. Coils,carb kits,and impellers.
If coils aren't new they will usually need replacement.Same for the impeller.
It uses the more modern single line tank.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your GG9016C is a 1957 12hp Standard. GG8971B does not show up in any lists. GG8971A is a 1957 12hp Deluxe. GG8981B is a 1959 12hp Deluxe

Bertslash

Cadet
Thank you guys!! I did change the plugs ( with the proper ones) and replaced the small gas hose from the internal tank down to the carb-and it started on the first pull!!

Now I just need to adjust the slow and fast "adjustment knobs" to set the carb--correct??

Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
While there are some similarities, there are numerous differences between the Standard and Deluxe models. Standard has an integral gas tank, but can be converted to run on a remote tank. It is considerably noisier than the deluxe. The Deluxe has rubber mounting for less vibration and noise, enclosed cowling and intake silencer, also quieter operation. The midsections and lower unit gearcases are different. The only reason for removing the cover to run in a can would be to let air circulate to the carburetor intake. If it breathes smoke arising from the can, it runs lousy.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You can't even think about setting the high speed knob in a trash can. You might monkey with the slow speed one and get it close. As somebody suggested, if the coils haven't been replaced, they need to be, or it will let you down on the lake. ALL Evinrude, Johnson, and Gale motors of that time period have cracked coils unless they have already been replaced. And if the impeller is old, it can fail at any moment and burn up the powerhead. 24:1 is correct. It needs plenty of oil because it has silver plated connecting rods. The silver plating is the bearing. When it is gone, goodby motor. But they hold up very well if properly lubricated and no water ingestion into the wrong place. Speaking of the rods, do NOT over rev it in that can.

Bertslash

Cadet
I have not rev'd it too much at all in the can. It have a new water pump and the seller said the impeller and plate look brand new. He was the second owner after his uncle and had limited use for the second owner. I will look into the coils- I don't plan on going out on any big water or too far yet. Just want to get it at my local State Game area and its only 1/4 mile around the block to reach the hunting zones I know so far.

How much would the coils cost? I have a very good boat shop in my town with an old timer that runs the back shop and he knew exactly what plug and motor I was talking about.

Thanks!!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Click on outboard motor parts at the top of this page look up Evinrude or Johnson 15 hp. Sierra number 18-5181 1951-1972.
Carb kits,impellers and some other various parts.I wouldn't be buying coils until you see the coils.
Original coils will be obvious with odd stains and cracks.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

This is what to expect if they are the originals

Attachments

• photo218209.jpg
    photo218209.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

Bertslash

Cadet
Does anyone know where I can find a parts list for a gas cap? I found one for sale in eBay- but I do t know if it will fit? Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your GG9016C uses a gas cap part number 590774. Gasket is 551463.

Bertslash

Cadet
No Title

Cool! Thanks bud!

Also, I didn't take the cover itself off- but I took some pics of the coils and parts inside-- they look brand new!!

Attachments

• photo229286.jpg
    photo229286.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229287.jpg
    photo229287.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 0

Bertslash

Cadet
No Title

More pics

Attachments

• photo229288.jpg
    photo229288.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229289.jpg
    photo229289.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229290.jpg
    photo229290.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 0

Bertslash

Cadet
I know F_R!! My wife says I could fall in a pile of crap and come out smelling like a rose!! I have had a few deals lately that come out with more value or way better condition than expected!!!

Thank you for your help everyone!

Bertslash

Cadet
Your GG9016C uses a gas cap part number 590774. Gasket is 551463.
Does anyone know what other size motors this cap was used on? I'd guess a 10 HP or 15 HP motor? I called my local shop and looked up a multiple sites to find it- and they don't have any! Thank you! Phil.