Need help motor ID

skipcliff

Recruit
I have a, I think 1950s I know it's a Montgomery Ward Sea King 12. Can someone tell me is this a Johnson or what. I have the Model# and Serial# but don't know if I'm aloud to post this info. I don't know fuel mix. I got this motor from a friend who does not want it and I would like to get it running and use it. It needs a gas cap. Can someone let me know what I have please. It's been outside for years. I cleaned and checked everything that I know to do and I got it running but shut it down till I find info. Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

If you don't post what you know about the motor, you won't get any help. Model and serial number help immensely.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It probably is a Gale-built motor. Gale Products was a division of OMC. Other divisions were Johnson and Evinrude. So yes, they are all related, but not 100% "same". Let's say 85% in your case.

skipcliff

Recruit
Thanks for the welcome. Here is the info I have on the motor. Model # GG9016C Serial # 75X681579 The X has a 6 with the X over it. Do you know the fuel/oil mix. One last thing do you know where I can get a gas tank vented cap for it. I live in Rockport Texas and I have been to every marina within 30 miles and nobody has any parts or knowledge to help me. I think they just don't want to give away advise, in my book that sucks. Thank you for the help guys I really appreciate it. I have to do things myself, I'm disabled and live on SS, so I can't take it to have it repaired I have to seek knowledge from this place which I just found and so far I like it. GA_Boater and F_R seem to be very knowledgeable and very helpful people, very good people, Thanks, Cliff

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Model # GG9016C

I get 1957 for that model. The Gale model number might be 12D15 (similar models were sold as "Elto", "Buccanneer" and "Viking")
You can find the parts list for the 1956 Viking version (12D13V) at http://richardlpaquette.ca/vikingmanuals.htm (as well as the full Gale service manual).

Any of the six digit part numbers can be looked up here at iboats (BRP just added a leading zero).

I'm not sure about the hyphenated parts numbers

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Confirming, that is a 1957, made by Gale. Any Evinrude dealer can order parts if still available. The part numbers on the Viking site are all he needs. Pad the hyphenated numbers with zeros to make them 6-digit. Example 41-62 becomes 004162, etc. Fuel mix is 24:1, do not be tempted to use less oil. That motor has silver plated aluminum connecting rods, and when the silver is gone, that is end of the game. Main enemy is water ingestion into the crankcase. That will destroy those silver plated rods big time. Very common route for that water ingestion is the lower crankshaft seal. The original was garbage. Otherwise, that is an excellent motor. You are right, I worked at a Gale Buccaneer dealership when that motor was new.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Correction: You are in luck, 9016C is a Gale model 12S13. That is a good thing because it does not have that crappy lower crankshaft seal. Gas cap is part number 590774, listed as no longer available. Gasket for gas cap is part number 551463, available.

Try posting a free want ad on the Antique Outboard Club website www.aomci.org for the cap.​