What brands will work with OMC controls

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I have OMC controls on a new hull I bought and am not sure what motor brands it will work with. Likely I will just replace the controls with merc ones but still would be good to know what motors I could hook up without needing to replace controls.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Which OMC controls. A pix would help

What motor was on boat when you bought it, none?

The controls to run a 1985 Johnson 120hp likely wont fit an electric shift 1962 Johnson 40hp, or vice versa.

If the controls are 'modern' there arent any brands of outboards other then Evinrude or Johnson they will work w either as most other OMC based brands are no longer produced.

If they're vintage controls, they might fit Gale, Buccaneer and several other motors that were based on the OMC but branded w a private label for sale at Western Auto or similar stores.

W enough time, money and engineering you might be able to make just about any control work w any motor.

Since you've posted elsewhere that you aren't well equipped or particlarly mechanically inclined, I moved this topic to the Johnson/Evinrude forum. Your controls will work w either brand as long as the motor is the same type as the controls.

And IF the cable ends fit up to the motor. Cables and ends can be replaced if necessary, but vintage cable ends can sometimes be hard to find.

Good luck w your project.

Last edited:

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Which OMC controls. A pix would help

What motor was on boat when you bought it, none?

The controls to run a 1985 Johnson 120hp likely wont fit an electric shift 1962 Johnson 40hp, or vice versa.

If the controls are 'modern' there arent any brands of outboards other then Evinrude or Johnson they will work w either as most other OMC based brands are no longer produced.

If they're vintage controls, they might fit Gale, Buccaneer and several other motors that were based on the OMC but branded w a private label for sale at Western Auto or similar stores.

W enough time, money and engineering you might be able to make just about any control work w any motor.

Since you've posted elsewhere that you aren't well equipped or particlarly mechanically inclined, I moved this topic to the Johnson/Evinrude forum. Your controls will work w either brand as long as the motor is the same type as the controls.

And IF the cable ends fit up to the motor. Cables and ends can be replaced if necessary, but vintage cable ends can sometimes be hard to find.

Good luck w your project.
Thanks and I have no pics of it currently but figure they are the old style controls as I am told the motor that was on it was from the 70's. I will check to make sure though, and then figure out if I need to replace or not. Thinking I do... can't be that hard right :rolleyes:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I do not think OMC controls are compatible with Mercury Products. Merc controls pull the throttle open, whereas OMC controls push the throttle open. The throw for the shifter is specific to different motor brands.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I do not think OMC controls are compatible with Mercury Products. Merc controls pull the throttle open, whereas OMC controls push the throttle open. The throw for the shifter is specific to different motor brands.
I figured that that is why I said I will likely replace them with merc controls.