1960s Gale Sovereign

robstead

Seaman
I picked this motor up remotely cheap hoping to put it on my Bowrider, i've been trying to find some information on the motor, such as the exact year, and specifications,

the model number: 60DG15BL
serial number: 877016

Any information on this motor to help me get this at least started would be greatly appreciated
gale.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1963, last year of Gale production. Electric start with generator, long shaft. Very simple and dependable motor. Evinrude and Johnson continued to make them under their own name after Gale stopped. Did you get the electrical harness and junction box with it? The voltage regulator is in the box lid. Necessary for the generator to work, and not cheap. No, you can't use a car regulator.

I see the tilt assist is not disarmed. DO NOT operate the tilt release lever without having it on a boat or at least clamped to a large board. It is like a bear trap waiting to spring if not clamped to a boat.

robstead

Seaman
1963, last year of Gale production. Electric start with generator, long shaft. Very simple and dependable motor. Evinrude and Johnson continued to make them under their own name after Gale stopped. Did you get the electrical harness and junction box with it? The voltage regulator is in the box lid. Necessary for the generator to work, and not cheap. No, you can't use a car regulator.

I see the tilt assist is not disarmed. DO NOT operate the tilt release lever without having it on a boat or at least clamped to a large board. It is like a bear trap waiting to spring if not clamped to a boat.

Thanks for the reply, yes it also came with the whole electrical harness and box. You said the whole box is necessary for the electric also? And thanks for the heads up on the tilt release, was tempted to touch it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Actually, the motor will run without any of that stuff connected, if you rope start it (or jump start the starter). But to take any advantage of the goodies, you need the electricals.

robstead

Seaman
Actually, the motor will run without any of that stuff connected, if you rope start it (or jump start the starter). But to take any advantage of the goodies, you need the electricals.

What's considered the goodies? So it doesn't need to be connected through the actual box, and can be it be hooked up to a marine battery through the terminals and start up?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You can rope start it without anything connected. Optional, you can use the electric starter by using a pair of jumper cables, neg battery to ground somewhere like the starter bracket, and pos battery to stud on side of starter. Really not wise though because of all the sparking and burning.

robstead

Seaman
You can rope start it without anything connected. Optional, you can use the electric starter by using a pair of jumper cables, neg battery to ground somewhere like the starter bracket, and pos battery to stud on side of starter. Really not wise though because of all the sparking and burning.

So there is no work around for having electric start without using the electrical box?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Why do you want to? The starter solenoid is in that box, and the key switch tells it what to do. Of course, you can re-design the system if you are looking for a permanent custom setup. The system is simple and very basic, a minimum of understanding of how it works is all that is required.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Years ago I did a temporary starter hookup on a 40 Evinrude. I just put a folded rag in the bottom pan and laid the solenoid in it.
I knew I just needed it for a few short trips.
The motor doesn't need the charge circuit ,ignition is self generated,It will start many,many times and run the occasional running lights too.
Generator is something like 4 or 5 amps so not likely to help charge much else.

robstead

Seaman
Why do you want to? The starter solenoid is in that box, and the key switch tells it what to do. Of course, you can re-design the system if you are looking for a permanent custom setup. The system is simple and very basic, a minimum of understanding of how it works is all that is required.

Some of the wires in the box are a mess, and I'm thinking of trying to make a switch instead of needed a key start if possible

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Here is the wiring diagram. Wrong year, but should be very similar. Do whatever you want with it.

BTW, that generator puts out 10 Amps, that's 4 or 5 more than a great many newer motors. But it won't do anything without the voltage regulator.

Attachments

• photo227031.jpg
    photo227031.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 0

robstead

Seaman
Here is the wiring diagram. Wrong year, but should be very similar. Do whatever you want with it.

BTW, that generator puts out 10 Amps, that's 4 or 5 more than a great many newer motors. But it won't do anything without the voltage regulator.

Thanks for the info, wanted to try and run it without the electrical but I suppose it's better to get that all figured out first before I try starting it

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Personally, I'd give it a basic physical before putting much time or money into it. Check for spark, check compression.