Chrysler 318 help

f16dcc431

Petty Officer 3rd Class
my 318 has been filled with issues this year and i need some help. sometimes if she sits for a couple days she does not want to start and it has been (eating spark plugs this year. sometimes ill goto the boat in the am and she wont start i will put new plugs in her and she will then start. new dist. new coil, new cap and rotor and many sets of new plugs, new carb all fuel filters done. now she wont start at all i did a spark check and its sparking but not blue its kind of yellowish. any ideas on why it may be eating spark plugs compression is ok when she gets started she runs great no issues just hard to start sometimes and after 2 weeks of running 5-6 hours a day she needs new plugs any help would be great this motor is in my lobster boat and not running is costing me

f16dcc431

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did hear some were that these engines are known for carbon build up in the intake can anyone verify this

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
I think my first step ( maybe because it's ez) put a jumper wire from the hot post on the battery to the + side of the coil. Then try to start and see if that helps it or changes the color of your spark. Post results.

Bondo

Staff member
(eating spark plugs this year.

Ayuh,.... If it's eroding the spark plugs, it's probably detonation, that's also eatin' away the pistons as well,.....

A Lean condition is the number 1 cause,....

f16dcc431

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have 12 volts going to the coil so that's not the issue. as far as eating the as eating the plugs it's not actually eroding they just seem to foul out very I'm wondering if it maybe a back ground or possibly is Skip tooth on the timing chain thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If they're gas fouling, it's to rich, look to the carb,....

If they're oil foulin', the rings are probably beat,.....

f16dcc431

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think they may be gas fouling they're not oil fouling still doesn't explain the why wont start there's compression there's fuel there spark the spark seems to be a little weak and everything is newany ideas on the carbon buildup with 318 in the in the intake

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Why would there be carbon in the intake,..??

How 'bout just doin' a systemic diagnosis, rather than guessin' some rather unusual ideas of what probably ain't the problem,.....