Yamaha 5.0 crack, leaking water

PSiedTSi

Seaman Apprentice
Found a really great deal on a 1993 Glasstream 190 with a 5.0 yamaha. I know the outdrives aren't the best, but for the price(Under $600), it's likely worth it. My question is...can one fix the block? It's at an auction so I don't think I can inspect it much, but there is a picture of the crack. Seems pretty easy, but is it something worth tackling?

x4kgeg.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
My question is...can one fix the block?

Ayuh,..... The Fix, is replacin' with new or rebuilt, the entire motor,....

You can reuse the induction, 'n ignition, but the exhaust is no doubt cracked too,...

Buy it, 'n part it out,.... Some folks are still tryin' to get one more lap outa theirs with used parts,....
Small market, but it's out there, cater to it, don't join it,....

PSiedTSi

Seaman Apprentice
It supposedly starts and runs fine, just leaks from there.

I guess I was under the impression, since it was just a water passage, it could be potentially JB Welded? I was more or less looking for someone with experience doing just that, as I won't be able to tell by the crack if it's fixable. I know the idea of grinding it smooth before filling, anything else anyone can add?

Antax

Seaman
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I bought one in the same shape and bought the boat planning on swapping the engine. When I pulled the intake the oil galley was busted too. If you go the route of the Yamaha it isn't that bad of a place to be as long as the out drive is in good shape. The engine components themselves are pretty standard. I pulled the engine and replaced the long block with a 5.7 out of a 95 GMC van. Also had to swap the manifolds and ended up re-engineering it and installing a set Mercruiser manifolds on a Yamaha system.

Bottom line is consider the block to be scrap and most likely the manifolds too unless otherwise stated.

BTW mine is a 1992 Glasstream 190 SE