Borg Warner Velvet Drive - Direct

zep_man

Recruit
I have a Borg Warner Velvet Drive (model# 10-17-004) transmission that is having a fluid leak around the shaft to the shift linkage. Upon removing the shift linkage, I notice that adjacent to the shaft is a small hole in the transmission housing that has a spring in it. Should there be a ball on the spring that sets into a forward-neutral-reverse holes of the linkage? If so, mine appears to be missing. Perhaps fluid is coming out the hole with the spring and no ball to seal it? Any thoughts? Would you know the required size of the ball so that I can replace? Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
I have a Borg Warner Velvet Drive (model# 10-17-004) transmission that is having a fluid leak around the shaft to the shift linkage. Upon removing the shift linkage, I notice that adjacent to the shaft is a small hole in the transmission housing that has a spring in it. Should there be a ball on the spring that sets into a forward-neutral-reverse holes of the linkage? If so, mine appears to be missing. Perhaps fluid is coming out the hole with the spring and no ball to seal it? Any thoughts? Would you know the required size of the ball so that I can replace? Thanks!

:welcome: to iboats

It's a 5/16 steel ball (item 47) part number 453632. This is a blind hole which does not go thru to the inner cavity. Leak will not happen in this location.
1trans.jpg

Capt Ken

Commander
Remove the cap on the starboard side and push the assembly out. Replace the O ring.