U.S. Marine/ Force L-Drive

curtisv

Cadet
Have a bayliner with 120hp L-Drive it's in great running condition, BUT....
I'm finding out there is next to no parts available for her.
Is there ANYTHING that I can replace it with, without performing extensive surgery, cutting her wide open?

Bondo

Staff member
Is there ANYTHING that I can replace it with, without performing extensive surgery, cutting her wide open?

Ayuh,.... Even then, due to the hull structure, there's nothin' that'll repower that boat,.....

mtrainTurbo

Seaman
The L drive was proprietary and uses Force OB powerheads. So anything engine related should, at least in theory, be available. The lower unit is, I believe, standard Force. Everything else, however, is specific and bespoke.

The hull is custom to the L drive, and cannot be altered without a degree in naval architecture and an open check book.

Come over to the Bayliner Owners Club and we can help you more.

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There's no easy replacement. There was a guy who got 3/4 of the way through converting his to mercruiser I/O but gave up and never finished the project. If you aren't good with fiberglass work, there's not much you can do. L-Drive parts are still available, used of course. If you really like the boat, consider finding an entire L-drive system to buy and keep for spare parts.