Crusader 270 with Mallory Ignition- Sparkplugs???

itselliott

Cadet
I am wondering what you guys with Crusader Model 270 (350 CU IN ) are currently running for Sparkplugs.
The manual calls for Champion RV 8 C or AC MR 44T. However that is for a breaker point style distributor with resistors in line.
If you have switched to electronic ignition...Prestolite or Mallory, Not GM HEI........What plug do you use? and are your RPM's still 4000 to 4400?I

Yes, I am having a few issues low RPM's neither engine will come up beyond 3800. They are fresh rebuilds of my originals by Michigan Motorz. The carbs are also freshly gone thru. Fuel filters are new ....all 4 of them. and the timing is set to 11 degrees initial. No overheating issues at all. I need to check total advance yet. But I noticed that Factory plugs are a full 4 heat ranges cooler than what I am running....RN12YC.......and have been running for the past 15 years because I fish (idle)) a LOT.
I also plan to open the secondaries manually (by hand) while running WOT . Still waiting for a flat water day for this. So, your current plug status is appreciated!!!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I run the AC Delco, MR43T plugs in 350s,.....

I don't run Champions in anything,....

itselliott

Cadet
Ayuh,.... I run the AC Delco, MR43T plugs in 350s,.....

I don't run Champions in anything,....

is that 43 up or down a heat range from a 44? The '86 manuals for the 350 calls for a 44...but I have been running a RN12yc wondering if a colder plug would be better or worse at $2.50 ea it gets a little pricey to keep changing them out.