Finally!! Mercruiser manifolds on a Yamaha 5.0/5.7 stern drive.

Antax

Seaman
Took me some re-engineering and a LOT of patient but I finally got it. Took it to the water yesterday and it worked great. At least I didn't have to re-engineer my mounting brackets. Well except the fuel filter bracket but it just involved drilling another hole.

The pic is during final assembly so the last hose isn't connected yet but you get the idea.

20150614_154520.jpg

20150614_152135.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looks great. please do your readers a favor and detail the step by step including part numbers. it will help out your fellow yamaha stern drive brothers.

Antax

Seaman
This was actually part of a 5.0 to 5.7 swap. If I had ordered only what I needed the cost would have been less than $300. BTW anybody want to buy a brand new set of Mercruiser risers? I'll make you a sweet deal lol

This is the basic parts list. I'll post some step by steps in a few.
  • Mercruiser manifolds, Barr Marine part number MC-1-87114 - For just the manifolds ~$220.00 eBay (I bought the entire kit for $610 thinking I needed the risers but that was going to require a LOT of re-engineering and my Yamaha risers were in good shape. Just needed some cleaning.)
  • Drain elbows for Mercruiser manifolds part number 18-4224 - $8.89 eBay (I bought the plastic ones. Metal would be higher)
  • 1 foot of 1" heater hose - I think it was around $3 at NAPA
  • A 1" to 1" barbed hose coupling - $1 Lowes (This was for the plastic one. I'm going to go back and get a brass one. I think they're around $8 but I think its worth the extra $7 just for the piece of mind. )
  • Optional - Mercruiser riser to manifolds gaskets with ALL 4 OPEN slots, no restrictions, no blocking. I cut the ones that came with my manifolds but I was getting impatient and didn't want to wait on ordering a set. I may end up replacing the gaskets and having the risers resurfaced just to flatten them out better. I noticed I had a small drip on one side.
I think that about covers it. I chose the manifolds set based on the front mounting hole and a few other ideas that, in the end weren't needed but the mounting hole for the fuel filter bracket worked out pretty good.

The only special tool you may need would be a die grinder and a bit to slot the holes in the Yamaha risers. I happened to have a carbide bit in mine which made things easier.

Bondo

Staff member
The only special tool you may need would be a die grinder and a bit to slot the holes in the Yamaha risers. I happened to have a carbide bit in mine which made things easier.

Ayuh,.... I'm havin' a hard time figurin' out the water flows of the Yamaha,...... Nothin' at All, like Any body else,...

Antax

Seaman
It took me a while to figure it out. I used a shop vac to figure out what ports were open to other ports. The "adapter" with the 4 hoses under the thermostat housing is the one that really threw me, until I took it off and then it all made sense.

Antax

Seaman
Understanding the water flow of a Yamaha engine. Apparently Yamaha had the idea to have the manifolds and the engine block the same temperature. Still not sure if thats a good thing or a bad. The one thing to understand is the ?plate? below the thermostat housing (Btw the thermostat housing is the same as an old Crusader engine). Once the water inside the block exists the engine at the intake it only goes to the front 2 opening, NOT ALL 4. It then flows through the bottom of the manifolds, up through the bottom part of the risers, out the larger 45 degree fitting and back to the fittings on the back of the ?plate?.

20150517_201036.jpg

Once it gets back to the thermostat housing the rest operates like any other stern drive engine with the exception of the water exhausting. The water on a Yamaha exhausts from the top of the thermostat housing into the top fitting of the riser and out the exhaust.

20150516_190851.jpg

(Yes, I have my arrows on the flow through the manifold backwards, oops. It goes in bottom and out the top.)

Knowing that the gasket between the manifold and riser is going to get the full water flow of the engine we will need full open gaskets with no blockage or restriction.
On to the good stuff:
  1. Remove old Yamaha manifolds and risers (ok that?s a given)
  2. Since you?re going to reuse your old risers now is a good time to clean them up inside and out. I have heard some boaters soaking them in CLR but I haven?t tried it. You may also want to take this opportunity to have your risers surfaced to get a good, flat surface.
  3. Make sure all the passages are clear. Remember the large bottom fitting on the riser should be open to the manifold and the smaller top fitting should be open to the exhaust. The 2 chambers are NOT connected.
  4. Mount the Mercruiser manifolds to the engine.
  5. This is where the fun part begins. The bolt pattern between the Yamaha risers and the Mercruiser manifolds are not the same, but they?re close. Close enough you can use a die grinder or, if you lucky enough, and end mill to make them match. I had a die grinder with a ?? carbide bit and it only took about 20 mins to do one side. These numbers aren?t exact but the bolt pattern on the Mercruiser is a small amount narrower and about a ? inch shorter. Remember to take it out of both sides or maybe a little more from the front as is easier to get to when you bolt them back on. I also took a little out of the walls of the riser and cleaned up some of the surfaces. I tried not to take too much but did take a little more from the bottom side since this is where I would need to get the box end of the wrench onto the bolt head.
  6. Once you have the open gaskets (did I mention you need OPEN gaskets?) and using every brand of socket and wrench you have, bolt the risers onto the manifolds. Some wrenches and sockets have thinner walls than others.
  7. Now at this point the solenoids for the trim pump and linkage plate will bolt right up to the Yamaha risers with no problems.
  8. The next modification we need to do is the fuel filter bracket. The Yamahas had 2 bolts holding the bracket on. Well I figure that a 5/16[SUP]th[/SUP] bolt can hold a little fuel filter and a bracket. You will need to drill a hole in the fuel filter bracket and the bracket for the plugs. As for fuel filter bracket with the fuel lines connected, so you don?t have to make any modifications to them, mark the spot close enough to the hole in the manifold. I pulled the bracket out a little so I could see behind it and got a close measurement. The new hole will be closer to the engine and about centered of the old holes.
  9. For the plug bracket I just drilled the hole so the plug bracket was at the same height as it was. Then flatten out the bend closest to the plug to get the clearance you need for the back of the plugs.
  10. The last modification is the probably simplest. The lower manifold hose connections. Install the drain elbows onto the bottom of the manifold. On the port side cut the old hose to fit the location of the new elbow. On the starboard side you will need to cut off the part that expands from 1? to 1 ?? and attach the 1? to 1? barbed coupling. Add enough 1? heater hose to reach the new drain elbow.