DE-winterizing

I just bought a 1969 40 ft river queen with twin 318 chryslers. The motors were supposed to have been winterized by a marina. From what I have seen on the forums already is that they are raw water cooled since I don't see heat exchangers anywhere. This is my first big boat and I really dont have a clue. Reading these forums has made me realize how much i dont know...

Guess i should have asked my question. What do i need to do before attempting to start these motors so I don't break anything?

alldodge

Staff member
Guess i should have asked my question. What do i need to do before attempting to start these motors so I don't break anything?

:welcome: to iboats

157188.jpg

You have something that looks like this
If the engines where winterized last year then you should be fine. The engine compartment there should be two valves attached to hoses which go to the engines. The hoses should be connected to the engines, but sometimes during winterization the hoses are left disconnected. How long has the boat been sitting?

Check the batteries and their connections that they are clean and tight.

Take some pics of the engine room and post so we can see what your working with.

I took some pics and tried to upload them but says they are to big and i dont know how else to put them up here. Any suggestions?

Boat has been sitting at least two years. Both motors turn freely. no batteries in them as of now. All hoses and plugs seem appear to be in place.

alldodge

Staff member
I took some pics and tried to upload them but says they are to big and i dont know how else to put them up here. Any suggestions?

Go to photobucket.com and upload your pics there. Then copy the links and post them here. If you use the icon which looks like a tree and paste the IMG link from photobucket it will be full size.

Sorry: the icon looks like two mountains

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Select the icon which looks like two mountains and a sun over them. The window should appear and use that window to copy/paste the link from photobucket. Don't select the upload tab with photobucket

alldodge

Staff member
Just found your photobucket page

100_2343_zpse9iwidka.jpg

100_2339_zpsdnyzbgkz.jpg

100_2333_zpsy29l69cb.jpg

And it appears we have to use the direct link and not the IMG link

alldodge

Staff member
They are Crusader engines, and I don't know much about them. You should follow the incoming hose feeding the engine, it should come to a belt or direct driven water pump. This pump is what is used to feed water to the engines. That is unless the water pumps are inside the drives. Where ever the pump is you need to check the impeller and probably replace it.

Next pull the spark plugs and squirt a small amount or oil in each cylinder. Before you try to start the engines you need to get water going to them

Edit: here is a link to the water pump and its parts
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/apps/master/crusader/index.php?MODEL=7&IMAGE=50

Last edited:
I lubed the cylinders before i turned them. been turning them over by hand a couple of times a day. I followed the link you left. It was for a 454. I thought these were 318's?
Thanks for all your help.

Bondo

Staff member
I thought these were 318's?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... They are,.... Chrysler motors, 'n Dana drives,....

Same as Star Spun, next thread down at this point,....

There's a belt driven hyd. pump on it, that's plumbed to a cltuch, that disengages the drive to shift it,.....

Make sure all the fluids are Full, 'n try it,....

Those drives are monsters, I think they hold 'bout 8 quarts of oil,....

alldodge

Staff member
I lubed the cylinders before i turned them. been turning them over by hand a couple of times a day. I followed the link you left. It was for a 454. I thought these were 318's?
Thanks for all your help.

Agree, looked around and could not find the 318 but appears that all I found use the same raw water pump. You need to verify and as before I haven't done much research on Crusaders. I'm willing to help just info for what its worth to have a look. I would also suggest looking into the outdrives and if lube oil needs replaced