Need help with Crusader lack of power

Blueboat99

Recruit
I have a 1986 34 SeaRay with 330 hp Crusader V-drives. I recently had the Rochester carbs rebuilt and the boat ran perfectly for several trips, but the last time I used it one engine wouldn't turn up past 3000 rpm. Normal WOT is about 4200. One experienced Rochester mechanic believes it is simply a piece of dirt in the carb that can be easily cleared out. My problem is that the boat is in Florida, 1000 miles from my home. I need it to work when I get there. I know this is sketchy information, but does the "dirt in the carb" theory seem reasonable? It is getting harder and harder to find mechanics who really understand carbs. The only other simple thing I can think of would be the timing advance in the distributor or an internal timing problem, but I'm told either would prevent the engine from even reaching 3000 rpm. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
I know this is sketchy information, but does the "dirt in the carb" theory seem reasonable?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... A lack of fuel flow is the Most Likely cause,..... probably water, 'n crud in the fuel,....

itselliott

Cadet
Hi...........I own a 1986 300 W/E with 270 Crusaders (Rochester Quadrajets)...When I first bought the boat in 1999, my starboard engine stalled at 2800RPM (like you describe) on the homeward trip.
Long story short......The fuel filter AT THE CARB INLET......a small paper barrel type of filter had a back flow valve in it that was not functioning properly (stuck)
Removing the filter solved my problem temporarily and we got home.
I then found filters without the backflow valve ( a plunger inside the center of the filter) I have been using this type of filter ever since (15 years now)
The Bad side effect is that the carb bowl will empty out to the level of the inlet port when it sits for a few days. A little more cranking to get fuel to the bowl than normal is then required.

Last edited: