Chrysler 440 Help with oil out the exhaust

brl96

Cadet
Guys,

I have an old century resorter that has not run in 10 years. I have worked enough on the engine where it starts right up. This weekend I tried the first water test. It started up on the water without any issues. All of a sudden the water behind the boat looked like milk. I assumed I had a leak somewhere but when went to drain the oil in the engine, it was empty. I was unable to get any oil out of the engine with my siphon. It looks like it was all pumped out the exhaust. What could cause is?

Mlop

Recruit
I had a similar problem on my '90 Merc 7.4.. It ended up being a pin hole leak in the oil cooler. The mechanic took off the oil cooler and pressure tested it to determine the problem. Once replaced - no issues!

alldodge

Staff member
Guys,

I have an old century resorter that has not run in 10 years. I have worked enough on the engine where it starts right up. This weekend I tried the first water test. It started up on the water without any issues. All of a sudden the water behind the boat looked like milk. I assumed I had a leak somewhere but when went to drain the oil in the engine, it was empty. I was unable to get any oil out of the engine with my siphon. It looks like it was all pumped out the exhaust. What could cause is?

I think you have to take the engine apart, I thinking a cracked head

brl96

Cadet
I had one of the heads off before and it looked good. I will do a compression check to see if I have leakage.

brl96

Cadet
The oil cooler tested fine. Any ideas what to troubleshoot next. Does it have to be a head?

alldodge

Staff member
The oil cooler tested fine. Any ideas what to troubleshoot next. Does it have to be a head?

The issue is you said that when you went (tried) to drain the oil it was empty. So you pulled the drain plug and nothing came out. The only way oil gets emptied from an engine is pulling the drain plug or there is a crack in a pressure oil passage into a water jacket. So the oil cooler is fine, you must have a crack in a water jacket. If the engine was mine I would be pulling it apart or finding another motor

Kiloecho

Seaman
What was the reading on your oil pressure gauge? Did the engine knock? I would guess the water would show an oily rainbow if it pumped oil overboard. Was there oil on your dipstick prior to start? The milky water has me stumped. I had a pinhole casting flaw in the exhaust manifold in my 440 Arabian that would drain back and liquid lock the the starboard back of cylinders. I had the heads off twice scratching my head until I took a hard look at the exhaust elbow. I was able to drill it and tap it for a pipe plug. Fixed! Water in the exhaust will give you milky smoke, but milky water?

I hope to see a follow up fix posted from you.

Kevin