1998 Orrion Twister. What the heck is this? JohnnyRude on a Seadoo????

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Saw this and it's pretty and red so I bought it! Had a few bugs but got it going and runs good. I know virtually nothing about jet drives and this really looks weird with a JohnnyRude outboard on top of a Seadoo jet drive. I can't find any info on this boat so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I'd at least like to know what kind of jet drive it is and how to service this thing. Actually, I really like the boat and how it handles. I'd like to learn all I can about it in case I end up keeping it and need to winterize after this season.

Attachments

• photo220738.jpg
    photo220738.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220739.jpg
    photo220739.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220740.jpg
    photo220740.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220741.jpg
    photo220741.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220742.jpg
    photo220742.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220743.jpg
    photo220743.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Is it a Johnny-rude, or a Force motor,..??

I ask 'cause Force once built the L-drives, which were pretty much a total failure, 'n there's No parts for 'em,.....

RandyJ

Hey Bondo. Good to see a familiar face from the past. Glad you're still on here. I did find a wee bit of info. It appears to be an OMC product from Turbo Jet Marine and either a 90 or 115 hp power head.

I have found several forum posts saying about the same thing... the powerheads are notorious for overheating due to clogging of water intake. Apparently many did not come with screens to catch debris. From the looks of my latest acquisition I could have about any kind of 4 cylinder johnnyrude mounted to the jet drive since it definitely has been worked on. So far the only issue I have found with it is a small leak in the corner of the hull, probably from a rope eye or seam between gunnel and hull and the ignition switch has to be replaced (already ordered from my distributor). Turbojet Marine appears to be the place I'll contact for manuals/info on the outdrive but the engine itself is nothing more than another johnnyrude. I'll need to figure out how to identify this engine. I have yet to find a hull number on the boat, definitely not in the usual place unless the hull number was on a sticker that ain't there no more.... For $1700 with a nice galvanized trailer that has only one dry rotted tire and has a new bimini top it seemed like a good deal.Upper Gel coat and upholstery is in rough shape. There are a few posts on iboats about 115 OMC turbojets.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Sounds like it's basically a jet-ski drive in a boat hull,...

RandyJ

yeppers, and sounds about like a water scooter too. Nice little boat, much like a boston whaler. Matter of fact seems there were several boston whalers made with this type propulsion. It's got one of them there 115 hp Johnnyrudes, v4 crossflow power heads. Looks like I bought me a problem. Nasty little muffler does the same trick as mercruiser exhaust manifolds and it is spitting out water where it hitches up to the exhaust and jet drive thingy. I may be experimenting and learning how to do some aluminum welding since I just got a free loan of a DC welder for some aluminum rods. Maybe I can figure out the process and skill to arc weld aluminum if it is possible. Youtube is my best teacher and about all I have to learn from.