Chrysler 440 Right Hand Rotation - Options for moving forward

marksa1458

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been working on restoring a 1975 Century Arabian. Finally, I am getting around to the motor which is a Chrysler 440 RH Rotation. The motor puts out 330 horsepower and is connected to a Paragon Gears PV41-R transmission. The condition of the motor is a mystery as I have no idea if it was properly winterized before it sat for a few years (I am assuming the worst) The motor does turnover, oil is used but doesn't have water in it. At minimum it needs a new starter, alternator and a carb rebuild.

In talking with my local rebuild folks, rebuilding this engine may not be the best way to go because replacement cam shafts are no longer available. I would hate to sink 4 to 5K rebuilding this engine, have the cam fail and be out that money.

What is the best way to move forward as 16K for a new motor/transmission/vdrive is way out of the budget.

- Does it make sense to rebuild what I have and keep and eye on eBay for a replacement cam if I should ever need it?
- Would it be better to find another engine of the same horsepower? What would be the most optimal engine to go after and what would I need to change to mate it to the existing transmission.
- Should I just look for a complete drivetrain out of another boat to use?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

alldodge

Staff member
I have been working on restoring a 1975 Century Arabian. Finally, I am getting around to the motor which is a Chrysler 440 RH Rotation. The motor puts out 330 horsepower and is connected to a Paragon Gears PV41-R transmission. The condition of the motor is a mystery as I have no idea if it was properly winterized before it sat for a few years (I am assuming the worst) The motor does turnover, oil is used but doesn't have water in it. At minimum it needs a new starter, alternator and a carb rebuild.

In talking with my local rebuild folks, rebuilding this engine may not be the best way to go because replacement cam shafts are no longer available. I would hate to sink 4 to 5K rebuilding this engine, have the cam fail and be out that money.

What is the best way to move forward as 16K for a new motor/transmission/vdrive is way out of the budget.

- Does it make sense to rebuild what I have and keep and eye on eBay for a replacement cam if I should ever need it?
- Would it be better to find another engine of the same horsepower? What would be the most optimal engine to go after and what would I need to change to mate it to the existing transmission.
- Should I just look for a complete drivetrain out of another boat to use?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Ah old wooden boats, there great.

Agree the camshaft will be hard to find, but you may be able to have one made by a custom camshaft guy, there are several, My guess is the cost would around 1 to 1.5K. If the engine is taken apart and inspected you should know if the cam is in good shape. The cam should not just up an brake. Also need to look at the distributer gear.

The real question is do you want the boat to be an all original restore or one which looks like an original?

If your not going with original I would look into what it would take to adapt another engine and change transmission rotation. Did a quick look at the Paragon transmissions and they do make LH and RH rotation. Since they make both rotations there are probably a few parts which need changing to swap. The last route could be the cheapest if you can find a inboard ski boat with a newer velvet drive setup