How do I remove fuel pickup tube from tank?

GoldToyBox

Cadet
Working on son-in-laws Jet boat, about 25 years old.

Steel tanks (2)
Chevy 454
Electric Fuel pump w/tank selector switch
New hoses & fittings

We are unable to maintain fuel pressure from one tank. We have found no air leaks and suspect a hole/crack in the pickup tube.
We have been told you can remove the pickup tube but we don't see how. It appears to be welded in?

Anyone else run into this? Is there repair kit available?

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions welcome thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Working on son-in-laws Jet boat, about 25 years old.

Steel tanks (2)
Chevy 454
Electric Fuel pump w/tank selector switch
New hoses & fittings

We are unable to maintain fuel pressure from one tank. We have found no air leaks and suspect a hole/crack in the pickup tube.
We have been told you can remove the pickup tube but we don't see how. It appears to be welded in?

Anyone else run into this? Is there repair kit available?

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions welcome thanks

:welcome: to iboats

Steel tanks are an issue and the only way I know to replace them is to remove and then replace. The steel tanks have all kinds of crud flaking up inside the tank. I would suggest removing the tank and inspect if it's in good shape. Then use steam or power wash inside the tank. Blow the lines out real good and let dry out. Reinstall and you should be good to go for some time.

Otherwise I would look at replacing the tank. Finding someone willing to cut and weld on a gas tank is hard to find. Would recommend Florida Marine tank if you decide to replace

GoldToyBox

Cadet
:welcome: to iboats

Steel tanks are an issue and the only way I know to replace them is to remove and then replace. The steel tanks have all kinds of crud flaking up inside the tank. I would suggest removing the tank and inspect if it's in good shape. Then use steam or power wash inside the tank. Blow the lines out real good and let dry out. Reinstall and you should be good to go for some time.

Otherwise I would look at replacing the tank. Finding someone willing to cut and weld on a gas tank is hard to find. Would recommend Florida Marine tank if you decide to replace

Used a camera to inspect the tank, it's clean and we have never had a problem with any debris in the filters.
It appears the pickup tube is metal, while everything I'm reading about or finding is plastic and they seem to be a 'snap in type' with 'O' rings to seal but the port on this tank is threaded (3/8 pipe).
2560612c_0.png

alldodge

Staff member
Wish I had an answer for you, but as you say many have an NPT fitting and yours is welded.

The tank looks clean and I'm sure you have blown air through the tube, so as to what is causing your restriction is a puzzle. Does the fuel pressure start reducing right away or does it take some time?

Bondo

Staff member
Used a camera to inspect the tank, it's clean and we have never had a problem with any debris in the filters.
It appears the pickup tube is metal, while everything I'm reading about or finding is plastic and they seem to be a 'snap in type' with 'O' rings to seal but the port on this tank is threaded (3/8 pipe).
2560612c_0.png

Ayuh,.... Take a piece of 3/8" copper tubin', 'n sweat it into the bottom of yer fittin',....

The tubin' should be 'bout 1/4" shorter than the tank is deep,...