V drive 327 22' Shepherd

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have recently acquired a 22' Shepherd boat and it is powered by a 225 hp Grey Marine Fireball V8 327 AMC which I have a small amount of experience with and would like to swap out for some GM power. Now my first question is which direction would this engine rotate if it is hooked up to a v-drive ? Second is because this is a Borg Warner v drive would the bell housing be the same on the transmission side as a Borg Warner with the reduction gear? My plan is to use the old v drive and attach it to a 327 GM I have in the barn that was originally a Flagship engine which has a Borg Warner reduction gear transmission. I plan to use Mercruiser exhaust risers and a quadra jet marine carb. Any input would be useful.

Bondo

Staff member
I have recently acquired a 22' Shepherd boat and it is powered by a 225 hp Grey Marine Fireball V8 327 AMC which I have a small amount of experience with and would like to swap out for some GM power. Now my first question is which direction would this engine rotate if it is hooked up to a v-drive ? Second is because this is a Borg Warner v drive would the bell housing be the same on the transmission side as a Borg Warner with the reduction gear? My plan is to use the old v drive and attach it to a 327 GM I have in the barn that was originally a Flagship engine which has a Borg Warner reduction gear transmission. I plan to use Mercruiser exhaust risers and a quadra jet marine carb. Any input would be useful.

Ayuh,.... I "Believe" that you'll find the round hole with I believe it's 6 bolts/ studs, is the industry standard pattern,.....

I've come across quite a few different flywheel covers(marine version of what's the bellhousin' in a car/ track) that are for various drivelines,....
So far, All have been the same hole, 'n same bolt pattern,.....

I had two from OMC stringer drives,... gave one away, 'n it's now bolted 'tween a 4.3l, 'n an ole Paragon transmission,...
The other is in my garage, awaitin' a matchin' Mercruiser jack-shaft coupler, for movin' the motor forward a foot or so,....

Does yer old motor turn over on the starter,..?? Which way,..??
Is the transmission yer gonna use reverse-able,..??

Lastly,.... I'm a fan of the Weber/ Edlebrock/ Carter clone carbs over the Quadra-jets myself,...

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I braved the snow because my curiosity got the better of me. I found out the Propeller is right hand and the transmission is left hand and the AMC 327 is not seized but I'm unsure about it's condition otherwise. I have to check the GM 327 in the barn to see if the bell housing will line up with the transmission I have. Otherwise I may have a look into the AMC since I have a spare parts engine in the barn too.

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
The Borg Warner V drive should bolt to the GM327 flywheel cover if the GM had a Borg Warner gear on it originally, that vintage Borg Warners (assuming) 71 or 72 series have the same bolt up , V drives and inlines.
Was this boat all put together when you got it?
In your last post what transmission / prop are you talking about? Where you said prop is RH and transmission is LH. The prop and V drive that came with the AMC 327? How did that ever work? Any tags on the Borg Warners? I'm confused.
If both these engines came out of single engine applications they should both be standard rotation.
The V drive will have an arrow on the pump cover, front of transmission, you can not see this when V drive is bolted to engine, the arrow will show you the engine rotation . That can be changed easily to work with whatever engine rotation you have. This does NOT change out put shaft rotation.

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I got the boat the only think left assembled was the drive system and engine, everything had been taken out for a restoration that was never completed. The prop and transmission mentioned both came with the AMC and it makes sense because the gearbox makes the prop rotate the opposite way the engine does The v drive is a Walter gearbox and this was all a single engine setup, I know these transmission will work with RH or LH, but LH was in top position on the transmission when I pulled it apart. I believe the gearbox changes the rotation on this setup. Will take some pictures tomorrow.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
I see what you meant now when you said trans is LH and prop is RH. Yes the output rotation is changed in the gearbox on V drives.

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here are a few pictures anyhow

Attachments

• photo216167.jpg
    photo216167.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216168.jpg
    photo216168.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216169.jpg
    photo216169.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
V drive engines mount "backwards",
so the AMC is a standard automotive rotation engine , since the pump cover is set up for LH .

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
same thing,
the official name: Borg Warner Velvet Drive ,
you are saying it the way most people do - velvet drive

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought it was the same thing, just wanted to make sure. I'm not sure now if I'm going the GM or AMC route, The nice thing about the AMC 327 is it is the original engine and I have a parts engine, but otherwise they aren't the easiest parts to find I've heard. The GM 327 has all the parts available, and is an older more period correct engine than a 350 and I have lots of parts for it. I guess I'll have to wait for some snow to melt before I can get the tractor out of the snowbank to move in the 327 AMC to take it apart and check out it's condition.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Cool, post some pics when you start working on it.