Yamaha stern drive parts (Captain Ken?)

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am *stuck* with a Yamaha stern drive and no parts available. I need a new impeller because it has been far too long since it has been replaced and I know I"m playing with fire if I take it out one more season.

I have a 1990 5.0L Yamaha I/O.

Also, does anyone know where I can pick up a carb rebuilt kit for that? Alternatively, I wouldn't mind just putting a different carburetor on it, but am unsure about fitment, etc.

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
I am *stuck* with a Yamaha stern drive and no parts available. I need a new impeller because it has been far too long since it has been replaced and I know I"m playing with fire if I take it out one more season.

I have a 1990 5.0L Yamaha I/O.

Also, does anyone know where I can pick up a carb rebuilt kit for that? Alternatively, I wouldn't mind just putting a different carburetor on it, but am unsure about fitment, etc.

Thanks!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Hopefully Ken will be 'round, 'n he'll know what ya got,.... I don't,...

So,... Is that 5.0l a Chevy based motor,..??
What carb is on it Now,..??
Is the raw water pump, motor mounted,..??

Pictures might help,...

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy Bondo!

You're correct, the 5.0L is a Chevy block.

The carburetor is a Rochester Quadrajet. I've looked these up and found many many many different versions with slight visual variations from my carburator and I cannot tell easily whether or not those differences would preclude that carb from being a replacement for me.

The raw water pump is attached to the block (if I recall correctly). My boat is currently in storage for the winter, so I cannot look at it for reference. I have photos on my computer somewhere which I will try to dig up.

Thank you for your reply!

bajaman123

Cadet
Don't get all hung up on thinking everything has to be 'Yamaha'. If you have a little bit of mechanical inclination and some time and even moderate Internet skills, you can find readily available parts without the Yamaha name on them. I've had a Yamaha big-block Hydra Drive (look THAT one up, for grins!) since new in '92 so believe me I know well what I am talking about. A Chevy is a Chevy is a Chevy, regardless of who "marinized" it. The ONLY thing I've found that HAS to be 'factory Yamaha' typically are electrical/electronic components, but even THOSE had to be sourced by Yamaha at the time...they don't BUILD that stuff in house.

Capt Ken

Commander
The carb is a standard Q jet and the standard marine kit fits. We carry the impeller kits in stock. Rebuild what you have and the carb will fit correctly. Replacements are electric choke where yours is dash pot controlled.

Last edited:

ryno1234

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Capt Ken,

First off, thank you for your response!

Do you have a link to where I could purchase either of these? When looking up the carburators (i.e. http://www.i-5automotive.com/marine/) there are many options with specific attributes called out on each where the general sentiment is that the carb with fit in xyz situations only... its this type of verbiage that has dissuaded me from pulling the trigger and purchasing one.

Side note: my choke on my current carb is broken / gummed up so I deal with the engine dying regularly when initially warming up the engine - electric choke sounds like a good plan.

Thank you again,

Ryan

Bondo

Staff member
Capt Ken,

First off, thank you for your response!

Do you have a link to where I could purchase either of these? When looking up the carburators (i.e. http://www.i-5automotive.com/marine/) there are many options with specific attributes called out on each where the general sentiment is that the carb with fit in xyz situations only... its this type of verbiage that has dissuaded me from pulling the trigger and purchasing one.

Side note: my choke on my current carb is broken / gummed up so I deal with the engine dying regularly when initially warming up the engine - electric choke sounds like a good plan.

Thank you again,

Ryan

Ayuh,..... In that listin', the top bunch are 2bbl. carbs, so ya don't want them,....

Of the 4bbl. carbs listed, ya don't want 1 for a BBC, as you've got a SBC, the jettin' will be different,....

After that, ya gotta match up the throttle linkage, choke, fuel inlet, etc....

I suggest ya have Yer carb in hand, 'n Call the outfit,....
Seein's they don't list a Yamaha, they could direct ya to the Closest fit,....

Or, go yer local Napa, buy a kit, 'n rebuild the 1 ya got,....