Test starting 1961 Grey Marine Fireball V8

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hello everyone . I am considering the purchase of this 61 Century SkiDart
From what I have been told it was last "tuned" and run a little over a year ago . What would be the correct procedure to try and start the motor . Everything from what I can tell is there . I'm sure the fuel in the tank is no good from sitting a year so I would need to rig some way to supply fuel . How would I hook the water line up . I have no experience with this and I need the advice . Just a hose going to the water pump ? I have a compression gauge but not sure the procedure . I really need to here this thing run if I'm going to purchase it .. Thanks for any help you can give ...

Bondo

Staff member
From what I have been told it was last "tuned" and run a little over a year ago

Ayuh,.... The fuel pump is dead center in yer picture, plumb a remote tank to it,....

I'm guessin' the raw water pump is on the other end of the motor,..?? plumb the water into it,....

Ya gotta find the starter's wirin', 'n hook it up,... When time to light it, hook 12v to the coil's (+) terminal,...

Then, I'd pull the coil wire, 'n crank the motor over a few times to pump up the oil, reattach the coil wire, 'n Light her off,...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Bondo !
Would I need to use a primer bulb on the temp fuel tank or should the motors pump draw the fuel to it .
There is a water pump at the front . I have seen video's where they run a hose to a bucket of water and fill with a water hose . Would that be the preferred method ?
I guess depending on the size of the w/p intake port it would be easier than to hook a supply hose directly .
Sorry if these ? seem dumb ..

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks Bondo !
Would I need to use a primer bulb on the temp fuel tank or should the motors pump draw the fuel to it .
There is a water pump at the front . I have seen video's where they run a hose to a bucket of water and fill with a water hose . Would that be the preferred method ?
I guess depending on the size of the w/p intake port it would be easier than to hook a supply hose directly .
Sorry if these ? seem dumb ..

Ayuh,.... Yer gonna have a reasonably short fuel supply hose, the fuel pump oughta do the job, just fine,.....

I'd prefer hookin' the garden hose, Directly to the raw water pump, myself,...

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
X2 on hooking the garden hose to the water pump. You'll want a little pressure as it would have if in the water or with the pickup fully submerged. Also it wouldn't hurt to check compression regardless if it starts, because it can give you a really good idea of what the pistons, cylinder walls, and rings look like. Good luck!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep I will check compression also . In checking do I need to remove all 8 plugs while doing the test or just 4 at a time ... Do the plugs need to be grounded or would just removing the coil wire be correct ?

Bondo

Staff member
Yep I will check compression also . In checking do I need to remove all 8 plugs while doing the test or just 4 at a time ... Do the plugs need to be grounded or would just removing the coil wire be correct ?

Ayuh,.... Ideally, pull all 8 plugs, 'n do the test,... You'll get the Best numbers that way,....

Carb at Wot,....

Disconnect the power from the coil, or ground out the coil,...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ayuh ...Hi-tension lead to ground,.....

Well , if ya haven,t noticed , I,m not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to motors . :facepalm:
But I am willing to learn ! :) Not quite sure what a Hi-tension lead is but I assume you hook it from the block as a ground to some part of the coil ?

Thanks Bondo !

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The Coil has 3 wire connections to it,....

The (+) terminal, which you could disconnect,...
The (-) terminal, which you could ground out,....
'n the Hi-tension lead, the Coil Wire, which you could ground out,....

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cool I have the same boat in my shop but with a 289 Ford instead, I do have a little experience with theses AMC block engines, if it has been sitting for a while you may want to put a light oil down the cylinders and crank it over with the starter before you go too far. You may also want to check the impeller's condition if it has been sitting for a while. Another thought might be to check your points and make sure they are in good working order and clean them up. Other than that I think everything else important has been said. Check the oil and be sure there is no water in it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
VBG , sorry but I missed out on purchasing this boat . Someone else grabbed it up before I had the chance to check the motor out ... :pout:
:eek:hwell: You snooze you lose I guess ... Thanks everyone that helped me though . I did learn a few things ! :)