Shift Cable on 5.7L Yamaha Stern drive and adjustment question

sabre85rdj

Recruit
I've got a 90 Rinker 206 Captiva open bow with a yamaha sterndrive that my brother used to own and did a lot of work on so there's sentimental value in keeping it in the family. The original 5.0 engine was replaced with a project 5.7 engine from Mercruiser. The boat tops out at 57 mph by gps so it's pretty fun to drive and pull skiers with. The boat is in great condition and I rebuilt the motor last year after some mud plugged up the power steering oil cooler and over heated the engine. I have an extra stern drive that came with the boat so major components shouldn't be a problem for a while. My problem is the shift cable. I've adjusted the cable as described in the manual and it's not even close. I went to the lake yesterday and adjusted it until it worked reasonably well but I had to lengthen the lower shift cable almost 3/8 of an inch longer than the manual said to get the transmission to engage. I'm almost out of adjustment on the cable threads so I need to do something soon, I'm assuming the cable is just worn out so I'm asking for suggestions on what to use for a replacement cable. Are shift cables more or less universal? I haven't tried to remove the original cable but my rough measurements put the cable at around 13 feet. I was hoping to buy replacements and then set about replacing them. If the cables are new shouldn't I be able to just adjust it to factor specs and it should work or do these units require a lot of fiddling to get them to work. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The shift cable from the shift interrupter switch area into the leg appears to be common to all Yamaha models and the current one looks to be part number 6U04831101 from a European supplier and part 6T4-48311-00-00 from a US company.
This cable on my boat wouldn't be more than about 4 feet long.
The cable from the remote control lever to the shift interruptor area varies in length depending upon the boat.
They are available from a number of sites in the US, including iboats. A quick link is http://www.iboats.com.au/Yamaha-Con...1609886--session_id.043148060--view_id.243424