1987 Crusader 270....ignition situation

Knightime

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 87 Silverton with twin 270 Crusaders.

The port side (L.H.) engine is misfiring. In checking the spark plug wiring I found the them to be connected opposite of what I believe they should be.

Starting with #1 the wiring order is connected counter-clockwise.

The rotor turns clockwise, thus the wiring order should be connected clockwise....correct?

Assuming I am correct, (the wiring order should go clockwise with the rotation of the rotor)....how is the motor running?
(it does run, rough and does not come up to power under a load)

I have my suspicions but, would like to hear your thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
I have an 87 Silverton with twin 270 Crusaders.

The port side (L.H.) engine is misfiring. In checking the spark plug wiring I found the them to be connected opposite of what I believe they should be.

Starting with #1 the wiring order is connected counter-clockwise.

The rotor turns clockwise, thus the wiring order should be connected clockwise....correct?

Assuming I am correct, (the wiring order should go clockwise with the rotation of the rotor)...
.how is the motor running?
(it does run, rough and does not come up to power under a load)

I have my suspicions but, would like to hear your thoughts?

Ayuh,.... It fires in the direction the rotor turns,...

Switch the wires 'round, 'n try it,....

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
I think what might be heading you in the wrong direction is the firing order. Unless you have a V drive the port engine turns the same as a car. So the firing order is the same as a car and most likely is on the intake manifold. To get the firing order for the starboard side just move #1 to the end and read back words. The port S/B 18436572 the starboard just move the 1 to the end and read it backwards 12756348