1962 Chrysler 318 inboard question.

Posting for a friend This boat abruptly began to over heat recently. We discovered a demolished raw water pump impeller, fixed it and have no obstructions anywhere It still overheats, although not as quickly or as hot. He removed a riser and found the exhaust passage in the manifold completely full of water on one side. The boat always steamed a bit and runs like clock despite this. The thing I found most peculiar was that there were no gaskets between the top of either manifold and the risers. The other side is as dry as a bone - no gasket and all. Why is it not hydro locking? Where did that much water come from and how the hell can there be no gaskets in those locations? It seems inevitable that I'll be contorted in that engine room today, but that old thing might have some oddities I'm not aware of. Suggestions? Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Posting for a friend This boat abruptly began to over heat recently. We discovered a demolished raw water pump impeller, fixed it and have no obstructions anywhere It still overheats, although not as quickly or as hot. He removed a riser and found the exhaust passage in the manifold completely full of water on one side. The boat always steamed a bit and runs like clock despite this. The thing I found most peculiar was that there were no gaskets between the top of either manifold and the risers. The other side is as dry as a bone - no gasket and all. Why is it not hydro locking? Where did that much water come from and how the hell can there be no gaskets in those locations? It seems inevitable that I'll be contorted in that engine room today, but that old thing might have some oddities I'm not aware of. Suggestions? Thanks.

Ayuh,.... Donno what yer Bud's got for manifolds, 'n risers, but it sounds like they've outlived their life,...

Water has to be able to get To the raw water pump, then into the motor, 'n of course, back Out,...
Any restrictions along the way can cause an overheat,...