Yamaha Tilt Question

Swampmouse2

Seaman
I just bought a boat last week with a beautiful Yamaha 4.3. When I got to the lake I accidentally hooked up the wires backwards on the battery. After I had nothing at the key or tilt switch, I realized the error I had made. I switched the wires, reset the reset button at the starter solenoid, and she fired right up. What I noticed afterwards is that I still had no up / down on the tilt / trim while sitting still.
I DO have trim just fine when running, AND I can tilt all the way up with the button at the outdrive when sitting still.

Did I blow a fuse swapping those wires, or did I maybe burn a relay?? I think it worked the day we took it for a test drive...but then again, I cant be totally positive I tested it at the shifter sitting still.

Thanks,
SM

Swampmouse2

Seaman
I got a slight correction....I am thinking this is a relay. It will go down from the shifter switch, but NOT up. Sounds like a relay to me???

Bondo

Staff member
I got a slight correction....I am thinking this is a relay. It will go down from the shifter switch, but NOT up. Sounds like a relay to me???

Ayuh,..... Never worked on yer system, but I'm guessin' yer lookin' at corroded wirin' ends somewhere, or bad grounds,...
Start at the battery to pump wirin',...
That oughta lead ya to the solenoids, 'n that wirin',...

Capt Ken

Commander
If the switch on the outdrive works then the relays are fine. Sounds like you may have fried the trim limit switch on the outdrive.