Changing the rotation of an engine

jjohns04

Recruit
Have read your guy's posts over the past years and just decided to join the forum due to needing some help .

To make a long story short , I bought a 74 Century Ski Fury 16 ft with a 340 Chrysler . Found that the engine has an internal crack ( pressure checked manifolds , etc , did all checks needed, tore engine completely down ) ... no visible outer cracks ( water was getting into the oil BIG TIME ). Engine is clockwise rotation ( opposite of a standard automobile ) . Came with a ( close to )$800 Mallory Marine HEI ignition system and an aftermarket shifter that offsets the cost of the boat ( cheap ) . Where I live , I have not been able to find any marine Chrysler 318/340/360's for anywhere near reasonable prices ( 1500 or less for a shortblock ) , so found a low mile 1974 360 out of a Dodge Coronet for cheap with a trans and edelbrock carb ( sold the trans and carb ) .

Yes I know that the rotation of a Chrysler automobile is opposite that of the engine I have , but have all of the tools/time needed to convert the engine to the needed rotation. All I need to know is basically am I right or wrong on in what is 100% needed , and if there is anything missing or you might add to my list of steps of changing rotation. Swap out HEI ignition system from 340 to 360 ,starter , swap cams , swap out timing chain/gears , swap out oil pans ( marine one is larger and has studs that mount to the velvet drive ) , Freeze plugs --> Brass , marine gasket set ( full ) , possibly swap out oil pump due to the deeper pan ) , water pump .

Here's where things get a bit hazy and I really need help... some of you have said to turn the pistons around due to a 1/16th offset in the wrist pin , others have said leave it .

Other area I really need help in , due to the change of rotation , I know the engine has knurls on the end of the crank , You guys are the authority in boating ... some people say to polish the knurls off and go with a neoprene seal , others say to go with a quick sleeve or something , while others say to get the knurls filled and re-machined the correct way and to use a rope seal... what's the best route ? I understand the reasoning behind the knurls is to wick the oil away from the rope seal and back into the oil pan , reversing the rotation pushes it against the seal .

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Not an authority on velvet drives but would it be easier to change the rotation ov the drive?They come both way's.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
did you check the oil cooler for a leak
Many of the B/W transmissions can be reverenced at the front pump to except LH or RH engines.
I am not sure on your engine but GM and fords crankshafts are the only thing that goes backwards. The cam stays the same and the dist will work.