1981 pcm vapor locking

kwt2000

Cadet
Hi everyone, this forum is a great help and I spend a lot time reading more so than posting but I can't find the answer to a few questions today.

I have a 1981 Ski Supreme with a PCM 351W, this is our 3rd season running the boat and I think the problems are arising from the temperature being 20-25 degrees hotter than the last two years..(100-105 instead of 80)

when the engine is cold it fires right up and idles like a dream runs hard, we go down the river 20-40 minutes and shut it down and float for while usually
a couple hours then I go start it and it starts and dies then wont start up, I dipped a towel in the river and put it on the fuel filter which was empty and a few seconds later it had fuel in it, I also cooled down the fuel pump and then I have to prime the carburetor and I can get it going then as long as where up in rpm's it runs ok not great, idling through the no wake zone which is about 2 miles it spits and sputters but stays running.

another thing I noticed this year is under the engine cover is hot compared to previous years, I put a new T-stat in 160 degree and that is where the needle on the gauge stays. at higher rpm the manifolds stay cool at idle they get hot pretty quick,

I have check the intake screen and the trans cooler both are clear

I filled a 4 gallon bucket up and timed how long it takes to drain it at idle and at higher rpms, at idle it took 1 min 24 seconds, and 2000 rpm in took 35 seconds, don't know if that helps or not, is it possible my lake water pump is weak?

thanks in advance

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 351 pcm Windsor that had the same problem. mine was a fuel pump which did not like working when hot the boat could run all day, but if I shut it down for a few minutes it would not pump as I would restart and run the fuel from the carb and die two minutes later. a new fuel pump fixed the problem.