Chrysler 318 water pump

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
On a Chrysler 318 inboard, is there a way i can run it on land? I'm hoping to need to test the engine soon and don't want to damage it trying to start it.

Bondo

Staff member
On a Chrysler 318 inboard, is there a way i can run it on land? I'm hoping to need to test the engine soon and don't want to damage it trying to start it.

Ayuh,.... Easy, find the Raw water pump, the impeller pump, 'n feed it with water,...... If it ain't motor mounted, feed water to the T-stat housin' in-comin' port,....

Last edited:

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ok, so now I have more questions... I was at the boat yesterday and noticed a very large hose connected to a thru-hull on the bottom of the hull. This goes to the engine which I assume is the raw water intake. I also assume that I can remove this hose and put a garden hose in it so that it doesn't pressurize the intake hose but rather allows excess to run over into the bilge. I'm thinking i want to avoid pushing water into the manifolds and then into the cylinders.

Assuming I've got that much correct, I now believe that she might be fresh water cooled. This is my fist inboard boat so I'm learning as I go here. Anyhow, there's a square-ish box on top with what looks like a radiator cap and a skinny hose attached to (what looks like) an overflow bottle. Other than first identifying for certain that it's fresh water cooled, then filling it with the correct coolant, is there anything else that needs to be checked or done before I can start it? I'm fairly certain I saw the heat exchanger on the port side of the engine but didn't get any pics of it or the box on top.

Other than identifying the heat exchanger, is there any other way to tell for certain that she's fresh water cooled? I have the model and serial numbers but can't get anything from it other than it's a lm318b and right hand rotation.

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Ok, so now I have more questions... I was at the boat yesterday and noticed a very large hose connected to a thru-hull on the bottom of the hull. This goes to the engine which I assume is the raw water intake. I also assume that I can remove this hose and put a garden hose in it so that it doesn't pressurize the intake hose but rather allows excess to run over into the bilge. I'm thinking i want to avoid pushing water into the manifolds and then into the cylinders.

Assuming I've got that much correct, I now believe that she might be fresh water cooled. This is my fist inboard boat so I'm learning as I go here. Anyhow, there's a square-ish box on top with what looks like a radiator cap and a skinny hose attached to (what looks like) an overflow bottle. Other than first identifying for certain that it's fresh water cooled, then filling it with the correct coolant, is there anything else that needs to be checked or done before I can start it? I'm fairly certain I saw the heat exchanger on the port side of the engine but didn't get any pics of it or the box on top.

Other than identifying the heat exchanger, is there any other way to tell for certain that she's fresh water cooled? I have the model and serial numbers but can't get anything from it other than it's a lm318b and right hand rotation.

Thanks.

Ayuh,.... If it's got a heat exchanger, it's freshwater cooled,.... Is there coolant in it now,..?? If not, I'd test it with water,...
The raw water pump still needs water,... Don't worry 'bout Over-feedin' it,... So long as the system is in workin' order, the excess/ waste water will run out the exhaust, not into the cylinders,...