91 chaparral yahmaha engine stern drive swap to volvo

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got 18.6ft chaparral that came with 4.3l yahmaha.im having trouble finding 4.3l at decent price.well I've came across a volvo penta complete engine outdrive out of 16ft bayliner 84 model.no controls, but looks like most stuff is there.guy says less than 110 hours on it and you can tell by how clean it is and the paint even looks new. Guy says 125 volvo and 271 outdrive.i believe it's a Ford based motor. What all will I need to do the swap? I know it's kinda a small motor, but what all will I need as controls, steering, and will I have to modify the transom? On motor mounts do they sell some I can use or do I need to make some? This is really a steal on this deal so I have to buy even if I can't use in the chaparral. Any ideas or options please. And also not forsure how those outdrives trim up and down.will I also need pumps? Motor outdrive already out of chaparral so I could start work now.

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That's going to be a volvo b-series OHC 4-cylinder engine. You will be grossly under powered swapping that into your boat. 4.3 GM V6 is what you have now and that's got to be one of the easiest engines to source, get one from a blazer at a junkyard and put your marine stuff on it.