Dana outdrive question

Borchik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Dana model 81 (velvet drive trans) in a 1969 housboat with Chrysler engines that I need to change bellows on. It is one of the few drives I have never laid my hands on. Just by looking at it I can not figure out the best way to tackle it. Anyone have any experience with these??

Bondo

Staff member
I have a Dana model 81 (velvet drive trans) in a 1969 housboat with Chrysler engines that I need to change bellows on. It is one of the few drives I have never laid my hands on. Just by looking at it I can not figure out the best way to tackle it. Anyone have any experience with these??

Ayuh,.... Sorry it took so long to reply, but, Ya those Dana bellows are Easy to change,...

The great big tilt Pins need to be pulled, 'n the drive slips off, change the bellows, 'n reinstall,...

For Parts, 'n other resources, search up Marysville Marine in Marysville Mich,....
They used to have pdf manuals on those drives over there,...
'n every part you could ever want,...

Borchik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. Actually ended up getting them off yesterday, twins. The roll pins holding the tilt pins in were seized solid, took about 8 hours to get both sides apart. The backside gimbals ended up being destroyed and the spacer shaft between the inner and outer bearings was seized onto the input shaft of the drives. A marina I deal with locally had all the parts in stock and they were considerably cheaper than Marysville Marine also, which was unusual because he is usually considerably more expensive than anyone else.

Thanks for the input!