yamaha stern drive ignition interrupter

bad2dabon

Cadet
I was wandering if I can bypass the ignition interruption unit (neutral safety switch) I have replaced the switch 3 times in the last 5 yrs. Not sure what is burning them out but tired of spending $40 every time. Not even real sure what it is supposed to do. If someone can give me some insight I would really appreciate it.
thanks

Capt Ken

Commander
Not if you want it to shift while in the water. It breaks the tension on the drivetrain that allows them to disengage into neutral. Something is wrong in your wiring if they are going out that quickly.

Jay H

Recruit
I'm looking for an interrupt switch for my 94 Yamaha 5.7....any idea where I can buy one? Mine is missing and will not shift....

bad2dabon

Cadet
Can get them from Nelson Marine. They are in Panama City Beach, FL. Phone number is (850)234-0854

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The shift interruptor is just a little magnetic switch and a permanent magnet. The magnet "makes" the switch as it moves into proximity. I found a switch in a local electronics store and replaced mine during a fit of faultfinding and the system works perfectly. I'lls ee if i can dig out a part number for you.