need new boss gt 40 long block

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
my 1996 MB sports boss 210 has a boss gt40 ford 351 engine made for PCM.
I have 0 compression in cyl #2 and low compression in all other cylinders. I am in the market for a new long block, but not sure if I can find a gt40 which my efi is set up for. anyone know where to find a long block?

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: need new boss gt 40 long block

GT40 refers to the heads which I understood were aluminum, but they do make them in cast. They had angle spark plug holes which made for tough header fit problems. The block and heads can be redone at a shop. Don't let those go if you intend to stay with that set up. The 351W was okay, and the GT40 heads had smaller combustion chambers which gave a bump in compression. No reason you can't have the heads and block refurbished, it'll be expensive but it's what ya got.

Technology now makes that setup obsolete. The Vortec runs circles around it.

Last edited:

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

thanks, just looking for a reliable builder expierienced with this set up. I am a GM guy not a ford guy. I need to make sure my efi will work correctly. it is programed for thi gt 40 setup.

Capt Ken

Commander

Dang Walt, sometimes you amaze me. Not that you knew the answer, that you was awake at 5:30 am

Walt T

Lieutenant

Yea well some idiot decided shift start at 0700 but the turnover meeting also starts at 0700 which means I gotta be there at 0630. Guess I should be happy I have a job unlike 'Ol Ken who stands on street corners with a cardboard sign that says "will work for Vespa gas"

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would pull your motor hand have it repoped. local machine shop can get you up and running for less than the cost of a new long block

and they will do a 3-angle valve job, and build it any way that you want.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, so I replaced the engine a couple months ago and now it surges when I reach 2600 rpm. I replaced the distributor pick up coil and the ignition module with no better results. the engine is not throwing codes to the computer. It revs to 2600 rpm falls on its face and starts up at 2200 rpm and catches again. it does it in or out of gear. looking for any ideas from you ford fans. t5hank you..