Anyone know what the Yamaha control unit is for?

vetteman80

Recruit
Hello, I have just completed a basket case Ebbtide with a 7.4 454 and Yamaha sterndrive project. The boat is up and running, trims up and down and goes in and out of gear well. There is a small box that mounts to the rear of the left side exhaust riser or manifold, which has 4 wires with bullet connectors. It appears that the red is constant power, black ground, a brown and orange which go to the very lower part of the outdrive. I looked the part up in a parts schematic and is listed as a control unit, I was under the impression that it was responsible for spark timing or as a spark interrupter for shifting. I have unplugged it and have seen no change in any function. Does anyone know what it is for?

mudsliders

Recruit
Re: Anyone know what the Yamaha control unit is for?

Pretty sure what you are refering to is the interface between the trim sender/limiter mounted in the gimbal housing (the wires you see coming from the outdrive) and the trim pump/trim relays.

Ray

vetteman80

Recruit

Thanks for the reply, I guess the part is nothing too critical. I will see if my trim gauge will read or limit with the unit unplugged.

Capt Ken

Commander

Nope, is a cathode unit that connects to the block under the transom assembly.