Burning rubber smell from crusader 350 with v-drives

tnanomantube

Recruit
Hi,
New to this and just became a member, so a big thank you in advance and I'm going to try and do this correctly.

I have a 1993 Four Winns express cruiser with 2 crusader 350's and v-drives. I'm getting no water out of the exhaust and had a very strong burning rubber smell with some white smoke within 3 minute of starting.. replaced the impeller and cleaned the raw water strainers and in the inlet at the bottom of the boat and when I opened the thru hull fitting I could see the water filling the strainer. So started the engine again and initially there was a little water coming out the exhaust but with in less than a minute the water stopped and could smell the burning rubber again but no smoke. Any ideas???????
Also I was told there is a muskrat problem here in the marina with them crawling up into peoples exhaust systems, could this be a possibility?
Thanks,
Tnanomantube

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Burning rubber smell from crusader 350 with v-drives

sounds like you might have found the problem. ( rats) anyway you should remove the rubber hoses that attach to your exhaust elbows and inspect them. They are what you smell burning and they can be damaged inside causing water flow problems. Once they are off you can inspect the system for critters and the the nests + water flow.

tnanomantube

Recruit
Re: Burning rubber smell from crusader 350 with v-drives

sounds like you might have found the problem. ( rats) anyway you should remove the rubber hoses that attach to your exhaust elbows and inspect them. They are what you smell burning and they can be damaged inside causing water flow problems. Once they are off you can inspect the system for critters and the the nests + water flow.

Thanks for the response, no critters thankfully. My wife had it right from the beginning and told me she had read on some boating forum that the exhaust elbows could be clogged and that I should take them off. God forbid she was right will never live this down. WTH ended up taking the exhaust elbows off and they were clogged with rust. Got everything cleaned up and put back together and all is good. By the way she's not allowed to read any boating forums anymore...lol just kidding, I will listen to her from now on!