YAMAHA 4.3L Stern Drive?

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just looked at a used 1992 18" Glasstream bow rider with a Yamaha 4.3L stern drive. Didn't know Yamaha even ever made them. That's the first Yamaha I've ever seen. Anyone here know anything at all about them? I've seen Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo-Penta of course but never a Yamaha stern drive. Should I avoid this boat like the plague because of that? The boat was in decent condition, but that Yamaha drive has me scratching my head.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: YAMAHA 4.3L Stern Drive?

Yammie did make some stern drives which were actually quite good. But do to their short life on the market, parts and service are a little more difficult to find. If it were me, I would look for one powered with a Mercruiser engine/drive.

Capt Ken

Commander

Actually excellant units and we ship parts for these almost daily. Due to the rarity of them you can usually get them pretty cheap. If its been a fresh water boat all its life then it will last forever.

Capt Ken

Commander

When they were on the market they were actually one of the best built units out there. Only quit building them because of a business deal with Mercury and Mercury didn't want the competition.

Bondo

Staff member

Just looked at a used 1992 18" Glasstream bow rider with a Yamaha 4.3L stern drive. Didn't know Yamaha even ever made them. That's the first Yamaha I've ever seen. Anyone here know anything at all about them? I've seen Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo-Penta of course but never a Yamaha stern drive. Should I avoid this boat like the plague because of that? The boat was in decent condition, but that Yamaha drive has me scratching my head.

Yes,....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

RUN, do not walk away. There is a reason you have never seen one before...

I'd buy one in a heart beat if I was looking... The reason they were only out for a short time has zero to do with reliability. They were some of the best drives/engines out there. Parts are still commonly available.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

wow, did not know Y made one... my personal experience with Yamaha products.. I've got a Vstar 1300 and my wife is a musician, needless to say Yamaha Corp makes some of the best instruments in the world, If that motor tests ok, and you can get parts,, grab it up... I would

Capt Ken

Commander

Yamaha still builds them for the European market and uses the Hydro-Drive behind a Diesel engine. You still see some the diesel units imported into the states but used mostly in the commercial markets in places like Alaska.

nick_vw

Seaman

94 cobia 20 footer bow-rider. brand new engine block 2012, rebuilt out-drive in 2006 (this was a cottage boat, taken out a few weekends per summer, winterized and maintained at a marina) Nice boat now that i have seen it. It has the hydra drive with a 4.3L block. Not sure what to think about this setup. I guess Ill ask the question bluntly, If this stern-drive were to fail, are the parts available to keep it going? Also, what would be involved to swap to a merc? Could I re-use the yamaha power side and mount a merc, or would need to be a total swap from a merc donor boat?

after going through these forums most people seem agree the hydra drive is a reliable and well built unit, but being 'obsolete' it gets compared to the likes of OMC.

Also, as capt ken mentioned, they are fitted to diesels today in many places, does this mean they are still manufactured somewhere?

Capt Ken

Commander

If it's a Hydra-Drive then it has a 7.4 liter engine in front of it. There was never a 4.3 mated to one. The little engine would never have the torque to spin the prop.

nick_vw

Seaman

If it's a Hydra-Drive then it has a 7.4 liter engine in front of it. There was never a 4.3 mated to one. The little engine would never have the torque to spin the prop.

thats my mistake I thought all the yammies were called hydra-drives...this would be the typical mid 90's yamaha I/O with a 4.3