yamaha sterndrive

Hi all. First time posting.
I just got a 1992 glasstream 211 gxl with a yamaha sterndrive v8.
When I got the boat it had no engine but the seller saved all the accesories. Now it has a rebuilt 350 vortec and runs awesome. I dont know if the engine came out of a car or truck but it was laying around in the shop and I built it. I had to go with an electric fuel pump since vortecs dont have a cam lobe for the mech pump.

Anyway. I just wanted to see if there are still yammie owners in the forum.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: yamaha sterndrive

Hi all. First time posting.
I just got a 1992 glasstream 211 gxl with a yamaha sterndrive v8.
When I got the boat it had no engine but the seller saved all the accesories. Now it has a rebuilt 350 vortec and runs awesome. I dont know if the engine came out of a car or truck but it was laying around in the shop and I built it. I had to go with an electric fuel pump since vortecs dont have a cam lobe for the mech pump.

Anyway. I just wanted to see if there are still yammie owners in the forum.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Like the drives, owners are also few, 'n far between,....

Good luck with it,... Capt. Ken stops by quite often, he's the guy to help with knowledge, 'n parts,....

Thanks. Im gonna try to take it to the lake this weekend. The plan is to make sure everything works and see what else is needed so I can work on it during winter and have it 100%for next summer.
I know im gonna have to work on the gimball ring since I isolated the outdrive wobble to it.
The problem is gonna be finding the ring or pivot pin, whichever is bad. If need be im pretty good at machining stuff so im sure I can make something work.

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gimball ring wobble? Is the leg "wobbling" a bit? Possibly the short tiller arm has flogged slightly. Capt Ken would know more on this, but see if you can track down a copy of the Seloc book as well.

Capt Ken

Commander

It's the pivot pin and steering arm. The mating surfaces are worn and the only sure fire fix is replacing them. But everything has to come apart to get there.

Damn. I wished I would've known before installing the engine. Im gonna have to live with it I guess. Whats weird is that the outdrive looks brand new. Even the prop has no marks or nicks.
Any idea where I might be able to get a pin and steering arm?

Capt Ken

Commander

I would need to check the warehouse Monday but push come to shove, I can take one out of a used transom assembly.

Thanks cap. I removed the trim switch at the transom and found that the bolt holding the arm to the pin was not tight enough. The ring play is mostly gone so im gonna see how long it lasts. Everything looked good in there though.
I do think im gonna need a trim switch because I messed it up trying to pull it. I got it back on for now but will need one in the future

One thing I would like to do is change the drive oil. Can you give me some pointers on how to do it?

Capt Ken

Commander

Remove bottom screw, remove top screw, drain oil. Refill from bottom like any other drive.

Well, I took it to the water yesterday and I didnt sink, lol.
it worked great and rode great, the only issue I had was the carb. I swapped the carb after I got home and fired right up but would still sputter under load. I removed the rod to the accelerator pump and the sputter went away, it revved like crazy. I think im gonna have to install a fuel pressure regulator even though the pump is rated at 7 psi. Im going for another ride tomorrow.
the outdrive worked awesome though and the temp stayed under 160 the whole time, 160 is the lowest thermostat I could get.
Ill keep you guys posted

Captain Ken. I have a question. My boat has a est distributor setup. Ive been searching but I cant seem to find the right way to time this thing. Do I use the adaptor? The 4 pin plug on the distriburor has only one wire, which I think comes from the shift interrupt. The 2 pin goes straight to the coil.
Thanks

Capt Ken

Commander

You will need to find a Delco EST ignition jumper. It used to lock the timing so as you can set the base timing.

Thanks. Its been winterized for the last three months now but last time I had it out we had a blast. I also polished the entire boat which was a pita. Came out great though. Looks brand new.
Next project is the floor. Its a little soft.
I might do it in a few weeks, its been cold here in Atlanta

Well, I finally got a chance to have some fun with the boat. Its been a long winter and the expectation was killing me.
Throughout the winter time i re polished the boat again, redid the floor, put new carpet, installed the hinges on the rear hatch, painted the bilge, installed a new stereo system, added some neon tubes under the gunnels, serviced the outdrive and fixed all the electrical gremlins.
All i can say is, i love this boat. It performed extremely well and rode excellent. I pulled tubes and skiers all day long and it didnt skip a beat. Next week i plan to fine tune the carb since i have a slight bog when the secondaries open, which i know i will probably never use since i dont like going over 3500 rpms anyway. 35 mph cruise speed at 3000-3500 rpms is all i need.
Here are a couple of videos i shot that day, one is from the boat itself and the other one is from pulling a tube.
And i wanna add. I love the yamaha sterndrive, If parts are not available you can rebuild them most of the time, all it needs is a bit of imagination and skill.

K.A.P

Cadet
I like it. Please post how you replaced the floor and carpet. I have to do the same to mines once I get it running.

GStanisic

Recruit
I have a 1990 GW Invader 5.7 V8 with a Yamaha Stern drive, I am wondering if the same year mercruiser part are compatible? I am looking for a aftermarket Bellows kit, and finding the mercruisers for quit a bit cheaper that the OEM Yamaha parts. $300-350 cheaper. Any thoughts?

Well. For the floor i did the easiest thing i could think of since i didnt want to pour tons of time and money on this boat. I ripped the carpet out and drilled some inspection holes. I found that the rear of the boat, the engine compartment and such has been done before. And by the looks it was a proffesional job. They built a new bench seat with a big sundeck as a engine cover. The transom is solid as a rock even at the drain plug. Now back to the floor. I just got a couple of 5/8 sheets of plywood, soaked them in resin really good and i glued them with liquid nails and stainless screws to the old floor. I kind of filled the big gaps with thickened resin and i laid the carpet on top. For the carpet i got some of those high traffic mats with the rubber backing. I did have to trim some pieces to accomodate the extra 5/8 of plywood but it only took me a day to do. Its not the right way of doing it i know but if you are in a hurry its the best thing to do. And that floor is rock solid.

I have a 1990 GW Invader 5.7 V8 with a Yamaha Stern drive, I am wondering if the same year mercruiser part are compatible? I am looking for a aftermarket Bellows kit, and finding the mercruisers for quit a bit cheaper that the OEM Yamaha parts. $300-350 cheaper. Any thoughts?
Im not sure if they would work. You can look up their size and compare them. If the diameter is the same i dont see why not. You can measure yours and then call a supplier and see if they have something close