Jet drive engine cooling

stewd8

Cadet
HI KIDS
I'm kind of new to this game, but just bought a 1971 16' side winder jet boat with a 351w,,,,now, engine cooling,,, the lake water comes in through the jet, through the transom, ball ****, split hose,,one to each side of the water logs, out of water logs to where the water pump should be,,through the motor, out thermostat housing,{no thermostat} to the exhaust, and out the back,,,,now to set the enigine temp, i adjust the ball ****, to get the right water flow through the engine,,,approximatly 1/3 open,,,all good,,temp gauge reads 180 deg.,,,all good....now my question,,,,when the boat is on the trailer and has no lake water in the engine.its dry..put the boat in the water, how long does it take to fill the engine with the cooling lake water, with the ball **** set as above,,,,,starting the engine with no water in it has me concerned..
unless its just a couple seconds...all thoughts are wellcome,,,,,thanks, stew

IMG00089-20130502-1842.jpgView attachment 199502

Attachments

• IMG00059-20130410-1240.jpg
    IMG00059-20130410-1240.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Jet drive engine cooling

HI KIDS
I'm kind of new to this game, but just bought a 1971 16' side winder jet boat with a 351w,,,,now, engine cooling,,, the lake water comes in through the jet, through the transom, ball ****, split hose,,one to each side of the water logs, out of water logs to where the water pump should be,,through the motor, out thermostat housing,{no thermostat} to the exhaust, and out the back,,,,now to set the enigine temp, i adjust the ball ****, to get the right water flow through the engine,,,approximatly 1/3 open,,,all good,,temp gauge reads 180 deg.,,,all good....now my question,,,,when the boat is on the trailer and has no lake water in the engine.its dry..put the boat in the water, how long does it take to fill the engine with the cooling lake water, with the ball **** set as above,,,,,starting the engine with no water in it has me concerned..
unless its just a couple seconds...all thoughts are wellcome,,,,,thanks, stew

View attachment 199503View attachment 199502

stewd8

Cadet

thanks for the welcome,,,,,my concern is the cylinder walls getting hot, before the water gets up to that point,,,,yes i do have a garden hose attachment, but most of the water in the block drains out, on the way to the boat ramp, how fast dose it fill??//

Bondo

Staff member

thanks for the welcome,,,,,my concern is the cylinder walls getting hot, before the water gets up to that point,,,,yes i do have a garden hose attachment, but most of the water in the block drains out, on the way to the boat ramp, how fast dose it fill??//

Ayuh,.... Unless yer pullin' the block drain plugs, No it ain't....