Tips on changing oil (Oldsmobile 454 w/ jet drive)

turner24

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all,

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I'm suppose to change the oil w/ this motor? I have been searching (basically feeling) around for the oil drain plug on this motor and I can't find it. Once, I do find it, how am I suppose to drain the oil when there's only a 6in gap? Is there a way to siphon the oil out or something?

Here's a pick of the engine:
imagejpeg_24.jpg

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Tips on changing oil (Oldsmobile 454 w/ jet drive)

Use the dip stick tube........They sell a 12 volt electric or hand pump for this!

turner24

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks! Where can I pick one up locally do you know? Is this something I can grab at a auto parts store or somethin?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Use the dip stick tube........They sell a 12 volt electric or hand pump for this!

+1^^

The oil can be pumped out of the dipstick tube during a change with said pump. Best if you warm the engine up before you do this so the oil will flow ALLOT easier.

For the record....
Oldsmobile didn't have a 454, that would be a Chevy.
Old's had a 455, along with Buick, and Pontiac (each 455 being completely different from the other). ;)

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Thanks! Where can I pick one up locally do you know? Is this something I can grab at a auto parts store or somethin?

Marine specialty shop, or Marina would be the quickest, all-be-it the most expensive place to find one. NAPA may have, or be able to order one for you since they offer marine parts. Or if you're patient, you could order one off the interweb, like from right here at Iboats...
oil pump - iboats