Yamaha 5.7L Pickup Assembly problem.

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had the engine stripped down, bored 20-thou over, new pistons etc and a new camshaft.
We got most of it re-assembeld but we have a snag trying to get the pickup assembly, part No 6T08167000 to seat properly on the boss on the inlet manifold.
The best we can do is about 6mm, say 1/4" from bottoming.
Any clues on what we can do next, short of belting in to it with a large hammer?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Yamaha 5.7L Pickup Assembly problem.

Ayuh,.... Yer workin' on a little known motor,... Got any Pictures,..??

Capt Ken

Commander

I'm lost since my parts breakdown is on the office computer. Are you talking about the distributor pickup?

Bondo

Staff member

Had the engine stripped down, bored 20-thou over, new pistons etc and a new camshaft.
We got most of it re-assembeld but we have a snag trying to get the pickup assembly, part No 6T08167000 to seat properly on the boss on the inlet manifold.
The best we can do is about 6mm, say 1/4" from bottoming.
Any clues on what we can do next, short of belting in to it with a large hammer?

Ayuh,... The oil pump drive slot needs to be aligned with the tip of the drive at the bottom of that gear....

So it ain't just the gear, but the bottom of the shaft has to engage the oil pump drive...

Usually you can reach down to the oil pump drive with a long screwdriver to align it...

Capt Ken

Commander

That or the plastic sleeve that attaches the oil pump shaft to the intermediate isn't pressed on fully and the shaft is too long.

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Ken, we'll have a fiddle around tonight.

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Captain Ken, a couple of details if you'd be so kind.
1. What brand/model is the fuel pump on the 1990 5.7 Yamaha?
2. What brand/model are the oil pressure sender and the oil pressure switch?

Cheers in advance...

Capt Ken

Commander

Beats the heck out of me. I believe the fuel pump is built by Carter. As for the senders, I've just used standard marine units.

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for that.

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a quick update. Got all the bits bolted on to the motor, started and ran, adjusted the timing and it purrs. A glorious sound - that of a 5.7 in full cry.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

For future reference and saving some cash......that engine is simply a General Motors 350 CID pre-vortec engine. My Yamaha YEMS sports Mercruiser exhaust manifolds and thermostat housing for the raw water, a Mercruiser distributor, Holley aluminum Performer Intake Manifold & Carburetor. Finding parts for a Yamaha is difficult, and over priced if you can find them. Parts for a Chevrolet 350 are dirt cheap, but stick to the marine version of items like the distributor, starter and alternator. (For safety reasons regarding sparks....) Things like valve covers, water pumps......aftermarket automotive chrome ones are far cheaper than any 'marine' version marketed by Mercruiser or anyone.

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Robert, thanks for that. My engine/leg are original except for mercruiser manifolds and risers, Carter Mercruiser fuel pump (Yamaha NLA), Sherwood raw water pump (Yamaha badged pump NLA). I picked up a spare leg and full transom setup from a boat dealer who was going belly-up and had swapped the yammie for a podded outboard. Got it for 500 South Pacific Pesoes, including a brand new stainless prop, probably worth 350 pesoes, so I'll be able to keep the motor/drive running for a few years yet.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm running a Volvo 270 outdrive.....very easy to get parts for, and pretty reliable. Very easy to work on. The Yamaha parts are pretty much extinct I think. Well, at least they used a common engine to make into a marine engine with their brand on it.....otherwise they would have all been dumped in the trash by now. Seems they were sued by someone back in the early 90's, about the engine design? Don't recall exactly.....probably by someone else making boat engines using the Chevy 5.7!

Capt Ken

Commander

OMC was trying to keep Yamaha from entering the outboard market here in the US. It was a feeble attempt that failed as we all know. The suit was in 83 and Yamaha started importing them in 84.