I want to replace my chevy 283 with a 327 in a Chris Craft woodie

scottsmith1960

Recruit
I have a 1962 Chevy 283 in my old Chris Craft. I have access to a rebuilt Chevy 327, same age, built in 1962-67. I have block numbers and details, but need to make sure they are in fact the same size blocks, and that all the stuff will fit on the 327. How do I determine if this will work?? Thanks for any input

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: I want to replace my chevy 283 with a 327 in a Chris Craft woodie

The blocks are the same however you need to do more research on what the rebuilt 327 was rebuild "to". By that I mean was this rebuilt for service in a car, truck, or boat. If has a truck cam you would be ok. If it was an auto engine the cam profile may be an issue since "reversion" (the issue where water is pulled backwards through the exhaust) due to too much cam overlap. Compression ratio may also be an issue. Too high a compression requires premium fuel to avoid detonation issues. If this is a base 327 with no high performance parts it will work for you provided you use brass core plugs. Composition head gaskets should also be used and all of the marine specific stuff (distributor, alternator, carb and fuel pump) as well. Some carb jetting may be necessary with the carb from the 283 being moved to the 327.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

+2

You should be okay on the same vintage motor. Hopefully the 327 is also a marine engine.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 1962 Chevy 283 in my old Chris Craft. I have access to a rebuilt Chevy 327, same age, built in 1962-67. I have block numbers and details, but need to make sure they are in fact the same size blocks, and that all the stuff will fit on the 327. How do I determine if this will work?? Thanks for any input

Ayuh,.... Normally, this would be a slam dunk, absolutely, it'll fit,...

But,...

Back in those days, ChrisCraft used many, Many custom castings from Chevy...
These are Nothing like the castings used by Chevy, even though they are Chevy castings...

The only way to answer yer question is to set both motors, side by side, 'n look 'em over, 'n compare 'em...

Some of the Strangest SBCs I've ever seen, were ChrisCraft motors...

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Another thing to keep in mind, this was the golden age of the SBC, when people were bolting all sorts of go-fast parts (camel hump/fuelie heads, duntov cams, etc) to these engines to make them scream. If this engine was built as a retro hotrod engine, chances are good it may be ill suited to be a boat engine.