Wayne 100 Corvair Powered Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam60

Captain
I bought a boat for very cheap, basically a basket case but only 96 of the engines made and used in hulls made by Glaspar, Corona & Blue Water. This one is engine #43, 1969 Model Blue Water by Inboard Marine, Inc. (Wayne Horning).

Wayne 100 Photos by poofdirt | Photobucket

EDIT: Just curious to see if anyone here has ever owned one or may know of any factory literature.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wayne 100 Corvair Powered Boat

Name change won't help, you still went from an OMC KC to a Corvair powered boat.:facepalm: Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire. :p

Seriously, keep one thing in mind with it, there were no marine electrical and fuel system requirements in 69. So don't expect it to ever be safe from fuel leaks and sparking electrical.

sam60

Captain

Name change won't help, you still went from an OMC KC to a Corvair powered boat.:facepalm: Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire. :p

Seriously, keep one thing in mind with it, there were no marine electrical and fuel system requirements in 69. So don't expect it to ever be safe from fuel leaks and sparking electrical.

:lol:, not the reason for the change. But I do hear your warning. The likelyhood of this thing seeing any moisture is about 99% because it is raining at my house.

There are still a few of these functioning out there and hated to see a rare engine get lost for pennies a pound. It's also very difficult to find the hull ID..:rolleyes:

Don S

It's also very difficult to find the hull ID.

Yeah, you won't find one either. The whole HIN thing didn't happen till late in 72, so it's well before that was started too.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

In my years in the marine business I've never seen one of them and it is a first for me. Thanks for posting it and Good Luck with it. I used to work on that mtr when it was still in autos.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Had to come back and look again. One question. What kind of drive did it have to propell it through the water ??

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I saw part of the drive pieces in a couple of the pics. Looked like it aint ever gonna go again???
Motor might run but fixing the drive???

GA_Boater

This is a strange backyard homebrew kinda thing. The Corvair is mounted on end to what looks like an outboard lower unit. I wonder what happens if you hit a log or bottom at speed. Heck, any speed for that matter, the outdrive won't kick up. Here some links to this thing.

Glasspar 16 ft. Runabout with Wayne 100 Corvair inboard!

A magazine article from long ago about it and the guy who came up with the idea (?).

http://www.corvair.org/chapters/southcoast/news/CorvairBoat.pdf

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the feed back. And who said Volvo and Merc were the first ?? Thanks again. Good info.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

In 1948, Mercury Marine engineer Charlie Strang mated an aluminum car racing engine to the lower unit of an outboard motor, creating a marine propulsion system more powerful than the outboard motors available at the time. During the 1950s, he and fellow engineer Jim Wynne worked at under Mercury founder Carl Kiekhaefer, who was initially dismissive of and opposed to a technology that would later capture 80% of the market. In 1959Wynne left Kiekhaefer and in less than 90 days developed his own stern drive, which he subsequently patented.

The first commercial introduction of sterndrives was the Volvo Penta "Aquamatic" at the 1959 New York Motor Boat Show. Kiekhaefer introduced a MerCruiser outdrive in 1961 at the Chicago Boat Show. By 1962, 16 manufacturers were producing sterndrives. There was also the Outboard Marine Corporation (O.M.C.); however, due to several patent wars, O.M.C. ceased production.
Volvo followed the torpedo's lead and made the Duo=Prop.

sam60

Captain

Someone at Fiberglassics sent me the exploded view of the drive. It is doable and I have all of the parts to the drive. It is in the project pile for now. I had the engine running but the carbs need rebuilt. This thing is loud.

tirediron

Recruit

I bought a boat for very cheap, basically a basket case but only 96 of the engines made and used in hulls made by Glaspar, Corona & Blue Water. This one is engine #43, 1969 Model Blue Water by Inboard Marine, Inc. (Wayne Horning).

Wayne 100 Photos by poofdirt | Photobucket

EDIT: Just curious to see if anyone here has ever owned one or may know of any factory literature.

Thanks

I have a 16' Glasspar Avalon that is being restored (or preserved} near Long Beach, CA. I am a Corvair enthusiast as well as a admirer of the inventor Wayne F. Horning who also is responsible for the Wayne 12 Port head that makes GM's inline engines, "run like stink!'. I have encountered no factory literature except from Glasspar. I presume you have seen the c 1965 Hot Rod article, and boating magazine review. The US and Canadian patents are interesting reading. I have communicated with two other owners, one with a Glasspar one a Tahiti hull (unknown mfg.) both are also Corvair enthusiasts and other Wayne 100's show up with some regularity at Corvair shows. I am anxious to talk with other owners and view photos that might aid restoration. I could not access your photobucket album in the link as they are private.

Bill
Gardnerville, NV 89460

sam60

Captain

I have a 16' Glasspar Avalon that is being restored (or preserved} near Long Beach, CA. I am a Corvair enthusiast as well as a admirer of the inventor Wayne F. Horning who also is responsible for the Wayne 12 Port head that makes GM's inline engines, "run like stink!'. I have encountered no factory literature except from Glasspar. I presume you have seen the c 1965 Hot Rod article, and boating magazine review. The US and Canadian patents are interesting reading. I have communicated with two other owners, one with a Glasspar one a Tahiti hull (unknown mfg.) both are also Corvair enthusiasts and other Wayne 100's show up with some regularity at Corvair shows. I am anxious to talk with other owners and view photos that might aid restoration. I could not access your photobucket album in the link as they are private.

Bill
Gardnerville, NV 89460

Check your PM's Bill.

sam60

Captain

I have a 16' Glasspar Avalon that is being restored (or preserved** near Long Beach, CA. I am a Corvair enthusiast as well as a admirer of the inventor Wayne F. Horning who also is responsible for the Wayne 12 Port head that makes GM's inline engines, "run like stink!'. I have encountered no factory literature except from Glasspar. I presume you have seen the c 1965 Hot Rod article, and boating magazine review. The US and Canadian patents are interesting reading. I have communicated with two other owners, one with a Glasspar one a Tahiti hull (unknown mfg.) both are also Corvair enthusiasts and other Wayne 100's show up with some regularity at Corvair shows. I am anxious to talk with other owners and view photos that might aid restoration. I could not access your photobucket album in the link as they are private.

Bill
Gardnerville, NV 89460

Congrats, Bill on the purchase of your second one.

I have two. One Avalon and one Glasspar. I might have docs too. I setup a Fszcebook page ford Wayne 100 owners to get a vin registry. My Gloasspar VIN number is IM104.

southkogs

Staff member
Please take a few to read our forum rules. We ask that you don't post to topics over 90 days old unless you're the original poster.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.