Need oil cooler! 92 Yamaha V6

Sidney W

Recruit
Anyone know where to find a Yamaha oil cooler for a 4.3 V6 ? Just did a engine rebuild, got everything back together,fired engine and noticed water leaking. Noticed it oozing out of the cooler. I assume it had froze. Where would be the best place to get a replacement? Thanks.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Need oil cooler! 92 Yamaha V6

There isn't any. Your best bet is to take it to a radiator repair shop. They can usually repair them.

Sidney W

Recruit

There isn't any. Your best bet is to take it to a radiator repair shop. They can usually repair them.

Thanks Captain!
You were on my list to call tomorrow. I will take it to my local rad. Shop and see if they can repair. If not, what is my option? We still don't have this thing in the water! Been trying to get this thing running all season.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Captain!
You were on my list to call tomorrow. I will take it to my local rad. Shop and see if they can repair. If not, what is my option? We still don't have this thing in the water! Been trying to get this thing running all season.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Ya oughta be able to plumb in a Merc unit, Volvo unit, or an aftermarket unit, reasonably easily...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would assume this is for the power steering cooler. There are plenty of aftermarket coolers around, all you need is the size of the oil inlet fittings and size of the cooing hose fittings on the cooler.
Post a picture of your cooler if your not sure. Those are common coolers.

Sidney W

Recruit

I would assume this is for the power steering cooler. There are plenty of aftermarket coolers around, all you need is the size of the oil inlet fittings and size of the cooing hose fittings on the cooler.
Post a picture of your cooler if your not sure. Those are common coolers.
Yes, that is correct. It is the power steering cooler. I am gonna check to see if radiator shop can repair. If not, I will look into an aftermarket unit. Thanks for the help!

Capt Ken

Commander

Actually nothing like a standard PS cooler. L shaped and bolts to the front of the engine. Not enough room to plumb a standard cooler with elbows and such and if you have the YEMS, the water pressure sensor screws into the side.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would be finding out what kind of hoses I had, finding a typical cooler used by everybody else, and plumbing it into the system. The coolers are not rocket science in what they do or how they are hooked up.

The oil side is the low pressure return line to the pump, and the water is inlet water from the raw water pump to the thermostat housing.

Just an example http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-1323...er-9-overall-length-1-14-hose-connection.aspx

Bondo

Staff member

Actually nothing like a standard PS cooler. L shaped and bolts to the front of the engine. Not enough room to plumb a standard cooler with elbows and such and if you have the YEMS, the water pressure sensor screws into the side.

Ayuh,.... No doubt abit of Creative Engineerin' can get it done....;)

Capt Ken

Commander

In Cuba they keep those old American cars running with some creative engineering and getting where we are learning the same with these engines.