1998 Yamaha Exciter 270HP Starter/Bendix Issue

ltjackson

Cadet
Hey everyone, I've already posted this in yamahajetboaters.com and havent got a response so I figured I'd reach out to a couple sites and see what I can find. I just recently bought a 1998 Yamaha Exciter 270HP and I love the boat so far, we've taken it out a couple times and it runs great both engines are strong but I think I'm running into a problem,

When I took it out last weekend we started both engines out of the water as recommended by yamaha then after both started sucessfully we went ahead and put it in the water. Got it lowered in and one of the engines wasnt cranking, it was making a spinning sound like an electric motor. I know its not engaging the engine and I think its the starter/bendix assembly.

I shut the engine that started off and started reaching under the engine feeling for anything loose (this is my first jet boat so I have no idea what to look for). Not feeling like anything had been accomplished I put the engine cover back on and tried again. Same thing, kinda like a "whirrrrrrrr.....whirrrrrrrr" sound. So I keep trying and like 2 or 3 times later it started? So we took it out and had some fun with it, at one point when we stopped to switch wakeboarders turned off the engines and hung out for a bit. When we were ready again the other engine did the exact same thing .... Now I'm getting kinda annoyed, so repeat process and it eventually engages and starts the engine no problem.

Also after the second time after riding for about a half hour or so the TAC for the engine that didn't crank fell to zero. I thought the engine died but it was still running but my TAC just stopped reading. I have no idea if the two issues are related but I figured I would post something on it.

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated, I believe its a starter/bendix issue from reading around online but if it is I have no idea how to fix it. Id rather do the work myself, I am a mechanic just not for boats. Hopefully someone comes up and tells me this is a easy fix (fingers crossed!).

I've also priced bendix assemblys for this boat and they are areound $30 a piece so once again hoping this is the issue. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 Yamaha Exciter 270HP Starter/Bendix Issue

I just recently bought a 1998 Yamaha Exciter 270HP

Interesting, Yamaha hasn't sold an IO in the US since 91 or 92 (I think, ...... maybe 93) yet you have a 98?
It may have 270hp, but what kind of engine is it?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1998 Yamaha Exciter 270HP Starter/Bendix Issue

Interesting, Yamaha hasn't sold an IO in the US since 91 or 92 (I think, ...... maybe 93) yet you have a 98?
It may have 270hp, but what kind of engine is it?

Ayuh,.... I'm thinkin' it's a twin engined jetski.....

I've also priced bendix assemblys for this boat and they are areound $30 a piece so once again hoping this is the issue. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Welcome Aboard,....

I'm thinkin' you've got corroded wirin' somewhere, 'n changin' the bendix's will get ya deep enough to find, 'n fix those corroded wirin' ends....

'n don't forget to pull, 'n clean all the Grounds too....