351W Commander / PCM Rebuild? Tear down?

frogstomp88

Recruit
Hello all, first post on the site. I've been a long time reader though, gained a lot of knowledge for my Mastercraft 1990 Prostar 190. But I'm onto a new project.

I just bought a 1988 Ski Supreme that's a real project. I'm doing pretty well with the upholstery and redoing most of the electrical (Ignition, gauges, stereo). Unfortunately, the previous owner was going to 'overhaul' the entire engine didn't complete the project. The engine is a Ford 351W and has Commander stamped on it (apparently a company that did the marinizarion and is akin to PCM). He put on a new alternator, starter, ignition coil, and bored over 0.040. However, he didn't put it a new distributor or cover the hole. So when I went to drain the oil, about 2 gallons of water came out followed by white/tan milky sludge. I'm hoping that that water got there this spring/summer because if it was done last fall, the block would surely be cracked (I live in the Midwest). So my questions are: Am I in store for a total tear down, what's going to need to be replaced / 'derusted', could I just replace the distributor, add some oil and see how she runs, etc? Any thoughts and advice are appreciated!

Cgoshia

Cadet
Re: 351W Commander / PCM Rebuild? Tear down?

It sounds to me like it's going to be a entire rebuild if there was that much water in everything it most likely rusted everything. Have you tried to start to even see if the engine isn't seized?

frogstomp88

Recruit

I got in touch with the guy who had it before me. It was rebuilt in Feburary and then reinstalled in April so chances of a cracked block are small. Would I be able to try to start it and check for seizing without a distributor?

Bondo

Staff member

I got in touch with the guy who had it before me. It was rebuilt in Feburary and then reinstalled in April so chances of a cracked block are small. Would I be able to try to start it and check for seizing without a distributor?

Ayuh,... I wouldn't,... The distributer drive, drives the oil pump, I believe...

Capt Ken

Commander

Do this. With a slotted shaft chucked in a drill, spin the oil pump and circulate fresh oil thru the system first. Then roll it over

frogstomp88

Recruit

So I was able to use a socket and drill to spin the oil pump and lube everything up. The engine turns over by hand easily as well. I've installed a Pertronix Flamethrower distributor and a Pertronix HC Flamethrower ignition coil. Im having troubles getting it started though (with fresh gas or starter fluid sprayed in the carb). I'm pretty sure I've got the distributor installed with cylinder 1 at TDC (although I haven't checked the timing notches because I don't know where they are). I was wondering if anyone knew the correct way to wire the starter relay, coil, distributor, etc. and if that might be my problem? In addition, I have no gauges (tach, temp, oil, etc) hooked up. Will the engine start without a tach?

Thanks for any input and thoughts

matt167

Captain

Should be pretty much plug and play with that distributor. Red wire goes to the + side of the dist, black goes to the - side of the coil. You need a full 12v ignition feed going to the coil also. I don't know if it's reverse rotation or not ( shouldn't be without twins ), but that could be a bit different if it is. Make sure it's wired correctly. Bring #1 up on TDC with both valves closed ( remove valve cover and watch the rockers ). Wire it that way. If you line the timing marks up on the balancer, it won't be right, because it could be TDC with the exhaust open..

115151d1289254883-i-lost-electric-distributor-cables-sequence-ford351.jpg