pcm 4140 on a 17 ft sunliner

philipjames5k5

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought this boat to keep out at my lake house, and the upon recieving the boat I cleaned the carb, changed plugs and coil, changed the oil and cleaned all of the connections. Ran it a couple days and everything was fine, the temp was at 170-180. And oil press was fine. Then I was pulling a tube and the motor all of a sudden cut off. Just died down like I ran out of gas. I still had half a tank and the engine was getting gas. But the boat was now reading 220 degrees. So I let it cool down.to 150 and tried starting it and it wouldn't start it just backfired with a lot of white smoke. Checked my coolant tank it was bone dry. And in my gas filter had a little water. I emptied my gas tank. Now for the engine what procedures should I do to find the problem, also can I even buy parts such as gaskets for this motor.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: pcm 4140 on a 17 ft sunliner

I bought this boat to keep out at my lake house, and the upon recieving the boat I cleaned the carb, changed plugs and coil, changed the oil and cleaned all of the connections. Ran it a couple days and everything was fine, the temp was at 170-180. And oil press was fine. Then I was pulling a tube and the motor all of a sudden cut off. Just died down like I ran out of gas. I still had half a tank and the engine was getting gas. But the boat was now reading 220 degrees. So I let it cool down.to 150 and tried starting it and it wouldn't start it just backfired with a lot of white smoke. Checked my coolant tank it was bone dry. And in my gas filter had a little water. I emptied my gas tank. Now for the engine what procedures should I do to find the problem, also can I even buy parts such as gaskets for this motor.

Ayuh,.... What IS a pcm 4140,..??..??

philipjames5k5

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pleasure craft marine and it has a Mitsubishi 4140 I can't find much on these

Bondo

Staff member

Pleasure craft marine and it has a Mitsubishi 4140 I can't find much on these

Ayuh,.... Never seen a Mit gas motor in a boat... heard of some diesels...

I'm somewhat familiar with pleasue craft... in that they marinize motors...

newbe3

Recruit

Hello Phil,

I have the same set up on the same boat (mine is the inboard version). There are quite a few of those motors around, and you should have little problem finding most parts. The PCM 4140 the the marine version of the mighty max truck, and most part will fit. The marine related parts can be found at www.skidim.com, I was able to locate most I was looking for there.
I have also relied heavily on the advice of members of Fish the Classic, a shamrock forum, since the shamrock 17 has the same engine.
A problem common to most of those engine was the corrosion of the ex. manifold, especially near #4cyl. with time, the damage would extend to the cyl head. I replaced mine a while back.
Good luck, I have just started working on my boat after several months, if you need anything drop me a line!