Yamaha 4.3 stern drive shifting problem

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and looks to me like there is tons of helpfull information here.

Having shifting problems with my 1989 Yamaha 4.3 stern drive Chaparral 2000SL I read in an older thread Capt Ken was talking about drilling out bushings one size over for the bronze shifting fork , just wondering what does he mean by one size over? Is it maybe drill bit size or other? Any help will be Greatly Appreciated!

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 4.3 stern drive shifting problem

He means re-drill the hole one drill size larger to allow a little more clearance. This will help keep the shaft free and prevent it from locking up. I've had to do mine as well. It's been flawless ever since.

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well sounds great, thank you much ricovw. Any chance you remember what size drill bit was used? Did you have to remove the bushing or use a 90 angle pneumatic drill in order to resize it? Reason why I'm asking is because I haven't worked on this thing since 2008 and the boat and Service Manual is about 200 miles away.

Thanks again ricovw, Greatly Appreciated!!!

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfortunately, i dont remember the drill size to use. Its easy to figure out though. When you get to it, measure the hole with a vernier caliper. Take the measurement and convert it to a fraction. Then just look at a drill chart and go one size bigger. I did not use a 90 degree head for my drill, I used a regular cordless hand drill.
I would like to have the manual close for reference, just in case you run into an issue.
Good luck, and let us know how you make out!!

Capt Ken

Commander

Its amazing, I haven't posted on this site in years and I'm still getting calls from owner's that find me there. Easiest way to figure drill size is to stick the bronze fork in a drill index to get the size, then use the next size bigger. What I have done is weld a long stud to the end of the drill bit to make it about a foot long. That way I can reach the hole. Also recut the angle on the end of the drill to remove the V and make it a flat cut. That way it goes to the bottom of the hole.

Bondo

Staff member

Its amazing, I haven't posted on this site in years and I'm still getting calls from owner's that find me there. Easiest way to figure drill size is to stick the bronze fork in a drill index to get the size, then use the next size bigger. What I have done is weld a long stud to the end of the drill bit to make it about a foot long. That way I can reach the hole. Also recut the angle on the end of the drill to remove the V and make it a flat cut. That way it goes to the bottom of the hole.

Ayuh,... Thanks for checkin' in Capt,.... I promise, it ain't been me givin' out yer numbers,.... ;)

Capt Ken

Commander

People contacting me hasn't been a problem in the least. We've actually built up a pretty good shipping business dealing with the Yamaha Sterndrive. We ship almost daily to all over the country. About the only problem is folks calling while I'm upside down in a customer's boat. I guess I'm the only person in the country that is still rebuilding these outdrives. Glad I didn't list my tools on Ebay years ago. I sometimes feel like a Cult leader.

Bondo

Staff member

People contacting me hasn't been a problem in the least. We've actually built up a pretty good shipping business dealing with the Yamaha Sterndrive. We ship almost daily to all over the country. About the only problem is folks calling while I'm upside down in a customer's boat. I guess I'm the only person in the country that is still rebuilding these outdrives. Glad I didn't list my tools on Ebay years ago. I sometimes feel like a Cult leader.

Ayuh,.... More like a Savior of alota poor soles who stumbled into ownin' a Yamaha drive,.... :D

Glad to hear things are goin' Well,... ;)

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LOL, Thank you Capt Ken for popping in, last thing I want to do is pull a man away from his work!!! I have worked on this Yamaha package for almost a year total, getting the sea water pump working and searched all over the US for cooling system parts, rebuilt the starter, changed all the bearings in the Lower and Upper drive, Gaskets, seals, water pipe, cables and so on. Adjusted everything according to the book :D even went as far as doubling up on the gaskets thinking the little shift arm was being pushed into the shifting fork and then had this shifting problem still :facepalm: Now should it be known, I had always suspected that bushing giving me the problem but allways told myself No, that it came from the factory that way so that can be it, and whata you know, that bushing was the problem the whole time :D

Oh, and by the way Capt Ken, when is the best time to call you? Rest asured I wont wast your time asking you trouble shooting questions :D

A Big Thanks to everyone and Capt ken!!!

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Capt ken, thanks for all your help with the Yamaha sterndrives. You are always very informative and willing to help, and i've learned a lot from all your posts.