twin engine crusaders with starter problem

swarner

Recruit
Need some suggestions for starter/ignition problem. After replacing both my ignition switches I couldn't get starboard engine to start it would only turn over. After rechecking my wiring of the switch I realized mixed the on and start wires on the ignition switch. After correcting the mix up it turns on but now the starter won't turn over. Is it possible that when I was trying to start it with wiring mixed up that something has been damaged and that's the reson it won't turn over now? I checked the battery for that engine and it is fully charged. Anyone have any ideas? Please help !!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: twin engine crusaders with starter problem

if the starter was cranked for more than 60 seconds, you overheated it and it needs to be replaced. starters are designed for 15 seconds of cranking and 1 minute of rest between.

swarner

Recruit

if the starter was cranked for more than 60 seconds, you overheated it and it needs to be replaced. starters are designed for 15 seconds of cranking and 1 minute of rest between.

Thanks Scott. I don't believe I was that hard on the starter but is there a simple way to check the starter without removing it ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

yes, you can jumper the solenoid with a remote starter switch. if it spins and engages, you have a wiring issue. if the starter just sparks and clicks, you have a starter problem.

however if you try starting it with the key, and you only get a click from the starter, I suspect that damage is done. then take the starter off and have it repaired