Olds 455 hard in dipstick

Choppie

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 455 olds Hardin that seems to not have a Dipstick. I cannot find it anywhere. I have it at a marine mechanic now and he said some of the 455's were made without a Dipstick. Is this true? How do I check the oil level if this is true?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Olds 455 hard in dipstick

I have a 455 olds Hardin that seems to not have a Dipstick. I cannot find it anywhere. I have it at a marine mechanic now and he said some of the 455's were made without a Dipstick. Is this true? How do I check the oil level if this is true?

Howdy,

What he probably means is that some blocks came without a dipstick.

Many marine engines have a dipstick (tube) that connects to the pan drain so you can connect a vac-pump to suck out the oil without having to stand on your head to get a pan in there..............AND many marine engine compartments have NO room for a drain pan!

Automotive dipstick tubes don't usually extend into the block far enough to reach the bottom of the pan so they're not much help for getting the oil out using a vac pump.

You can make a dipstick tube if you cannot find one. The 455 was a pretty popular engine for inboard ski boats (although I'll bet no one uses them anymore in new boats)

If you cannot find the right one for a 455 you may have to make something work like the one in the picture below (1989 5.7L GM, OMC)..........You may have to a little "junkyard-jumping" though.........

The dipstick tube (#69) connects to the pan at the fitting in the drain (#43)

Cheers,

Rick

convert

Choppie

Seaman Apprentice

There is a oil drain kit connected to the bottom of then block. A black rubber tube that I can unscrew and change the oil. One drained and refilled, could I check the oil through the tube where I add the oil to the engine? The diagram was helpful, thank you. But i don't see a way to check the amount of oil other than where I can add it?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

There is a oil drain kit connected to the bottom of then block. A black rubber tube that I can unscrew and change the oil. One drained and refilled, could I check the oil through the tube where I add the oil to the engine? The diagram was helpful, thank you. But i don't see a way to check the amount of oil other than where I can add it?

I doubt it unless the tube where you add oil goes all the way to the pan.

You could probably replace the black hose with a steel tube and use it as the dipstick tube though.

It appears that your dipstick tube may have corroded away and someone replaced it with a hose because they couldn't buy the replacement tube.....but it shouldn't be all that hard to just make one using steel tubing or adapt one from another engine.

I would want to be able to check the oil!